Charles Mingus Sextet Live in Rotterdam 1970

medjuck

I heard about this cd on the Duke-Lym list serve and got it (at great expense) because it has a bonus track of the Ellington band doing The Clown with narration by Ellington and I've always wanted to hear that. That track is good but the bonus for me is the Mingus concert. There are very few recordings of Mingus between '65 and '70 and this concert is a great addendum to the Mosaic box set. For me it's even more exciting than any of the concerts on the box set.

The "great expense" is because it cost 9 Euros to get it from Europe via snail mail. One hopes that it will be available in North America soon. But for those of you in Europe......

But that's no official release, right? Might as well download the excellent FM broadcast for free. If that cd's a boot it might have worse sound than the rebroadcast.

If'd known aobut it I would have. Sound is very good. And why am I writing in italics?

I don't know. Why am I drinking Chianti Riserva? :blink:

I heard about this cd on the Duke-Lym list serve and got it (at great expense) because it has a bonus track of the Ellington band doing The Clown with narration by Ellington and I've always wanted to hear that. That track is good but the bonus for me is the Mingus concert. There are very few recordings of Mingus between '65 and '70 and this concert is a great addendum to the Mosaic box set. For me it's even more exciting than any of the concerts on the box set.

The "great expense" is because it cost 9 Euros to get it from Europe via snail mail. One hopes that it will be available in North America soon. But for those of you in Europe......

I have had and keep that double DIW cd. I buyed it maybe 15 years ago for the very same Medjuck reason: no Mingus music available from UCLA (Music Written for Monterey, not Heard...) 1965 to this 1970 concert, due to pretty likable health problem of the bassist.

The sound is really good compared to the last live recordings he had made. I remember an impossibly frantic version of OP (aka The Man Who Never Sleeps, Oscar Pettiford).

• 2 weeks later...

A long time ago, I bought a quite obscure Mingus LP with that 1970 group, it was misdated as "1969" but must be 1970, Rotterdam or Amsterdam I don´t remember. Nothing special about it, the bass is practicalle unheard. Yes, the tunes were "Orange was the Colour of her Dress", "OP OP", and "The Man that never sleeps". I still have it, but I don´t think I´ll listen to it soon.

If you like Mingus´ 1970 recordings, better get the "America" dates (late 1970 for french label America), originally issued as "Blue Bird" and "Pyticantropus Erectus".

Anyway, that´s a really tired Mingus, sure there are great moments, but it would be years later, that Mingus really was back.

I also like the America date, with Eddie Preston, McPherson, Bobby Jones, Byard, and Richmond. Well worth having. My main regret about it is that "Love is a Dangerous Necessity" is clearly truncated, right when it really sounded interesting. I remember really liking "Peggy's Blue Skylight" from this session.

Yes, the "Love is a Dangerous Necessity".....it starts with that "a capella horn arrangement", very similar to the movie score "Music for Todo Modo", which Mingus composed and recorded 6 years later (on the album Cumbia&Jazz Fusion). So I think this was an idea he worked out later, like many stuff the Mingus composed.

Well, it´s cut off when it starts to become a slow blues. Peggy´s Blue Skylight " is really nice, "Reincarnation of a Lovebird" also.

I also like the "I left my heart in SanFrancisco", though it´s more fun that vintage Mingus......