From Wild Bill Davis to Jimmy Smith

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jim and Goldberg for this incredibly detailed reporting about these 1961 Paris Concerts. I remember at the time I dreamed attending them , but the trip to Paris was not as easy and fast as it is today. So I had to wait for their appearance in Brussels, but this one was unfortunately without an organ...

By the way, I might add my very tiny pinch of salt : for the Paris concerts, Ray havin' just acquired a Hammond RT-3 at home, his management imposed the same instrument for the concerts. You can see from the splendid pictures Ray is indeed playing an RT-3, lookin' quite similar to the C-3, but with a pedalboard of 32 notes instead of 25. and, no...you can't see the 32 pedals on the pix...where the text wrongly mentions "his B-3".

I THINK this may be it, but there's no cover image or track list.

http://www.amazon.fr...57756405&sr=1-1

It's also on sale at Amazon UK - also no image or trax,

Here's a pic of the sleeve

Album%20-%20Genius%20Soul.Live,%20cover%20front,%20Ray%20Charles%20-%201961.jpeg

MG

Thanks Gold, I placed the order from one seller of the Market Place. Some good fun : Amazon.fr was selling the item for a price of...799 Euro :crazy::rofl::rhappy:

I THINK this may be it, but there's no cover image or track list.

http://www.amazon.fr...57756405&sr=1-1

It's also on sale at Amazon UK - also no image or trax,

Here's a pic of the sleeve

Album%20-%20Genius%20Soul.Live,%20cover%20front,%20Ray%20Charles%20-%201961.jpeg

MG

Thanks Gold, I placed the order from one seller of the Market Place. Some good fun : Amazon.fr was selling the item for a price of...799 Euro :crazy::rofl::rhappy:

I couldn't believe that price, either. I hope you get the right album, Michel.

MG

Hi MG,

The CD Live in Paris arrived this morning. And it is GREAT..! It actually reminds me of the Genius+Soul LP featuring Ray on organ.

I just love Ray's style : his technical capabilities as a pianist and organist are limited, but it does not matter here : the music is sparkling with life and beauty!

Thanks again for having brought these gems to the light, I wouldn't even have dreamed of owning this CD...great job, thanks!

The recording quality is quite acceptable, considering it is half a century old...The ORTF in that time knew how to record : it will just need minor tone corrections and reverb' to be close to studio standards. And the price was finally 8.98£, postage included.

Michel+

Edited by michel devos

Hi MG,

The CD Live in Paris arrived this morning. And it is GREAT..! It actually reminds me of the Genius+Soul LP featuring Ray on organ.

I just love Ray's style : his technical capabilities as a pianist and organist are limited, but it does not matter here : the music is sparkling with life and beauty!

Thanks again for having brought these gems to the light, I wouldn't even have dreamed of owning this CD...great job, thanks!

The recording quality is quite acceptable, considering it is half a century old...The ORTF in that time knew how to record : it will just need minor tone corrections and reverb' to be close to studio standards. And the price was finally 8.98£, postage included.

Michel+

Glad you like it Michel. If you have Ray's Pablo CD 'Live in Berlin 1962' a comparison of the two versions of 'Come rain or come shine' is a revelation.

(By the way, it's the other CD ('Rock + soul = genius') that has the shitty sound on the first 3 tracks. I've always thought 'Genius + Soul = Jazz live' had very nice sound.)

MG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Good site,

I met & saw Buckner & Jackie Davis , both brilliant players & entertainers with a great sense of humor

Baby Face & Jackie Davis were some of the few, who played real pedal bass lines.

Many B3 players I saw in the 60’s club gigs, who never made records or became famous, but still were great pedal, keyboard, singers,

that’s why they got work, to cut out cost of hiring a bass.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's not Wild Bill Davison, for one thing.

And McGriff was another Philly organist who started in the early sixties, well after Jimmy Smith. He always thought of himself as a blues organist, not a jazz organist. Worked a good bit with Junior Parker and recorded with Albert Collins, a good friend, whom he influenced a bit, I think.

I like 'Countdown' but for McGriff recommendations there are several much better ones.

Jimmy-McGriff-The-Starting-Five-486375.j

The starting five - Milestone

41E22FEDKML.jpg

The dream team - Milestone (Rusty Bryant had died by the time of this one)

Black_Pearl_(Jimmy_McGriff_album).jpg

Black Pearl - BN

jmjplp.jpg

(with Junior Parker) Chicken fried soul - United Artists (done at same session as 'Black Pearl' - Jimmy's organ room in Newark - The Silver Slipper

37783040.jpg

The main squeeze - Groove Merchant (with Conrad Lester, whom you'll know from all your Freddie Roach albums :))

J.McGriff%2BI%2527ve%2BGot%2BA%2BWoman.j

I've got a woman - Sue

One+of+Mine.jpg

One of mine - Sue

MG

I've got a compilation cd of Hank Crawford/Jimmy McGriff sessions. I listened to it in the car for a couple of days. Just couldn't warm to it much. Normally I would expect too. Even George Freeman was annoying me on that one. Sometimes Freeman can sound like he's swatting flies from his fretboard. Maybe I'll check out some of the other stuff.

Can't imagine I wouldn't love The Starting Five and Dream Team.

Edited by freelancer

I've got a compilation cd of Hank Crawford/Jimmy McGriff sessions. I listened to it in the car for a couple of days. Just couldn't warm to it much. Normally I would expect too. Even George Freeman was annoying me on that one. Sometimes Freeman can sound like he's swatting flies from his fretboard. Maybe I'll check out some of the other stuff.

Can't imagine I wouldn't love The Starting Five and Dream Team.

Sure Hank Crawford was on that comp? George Freeman only recorded with Jimmy McGriff on the Groove Merchant label and Jimmy hadn't teamed up with Hank then. Mind you, I love both Hank and Jimmy like crazy but, together, they do not lay me out flat; less than the sum of their parts (slightly).

MG