Spiritual jazz

Milestones

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

There's the album "Much in Common" by Ray Brown and Milt Jackson, where they finally lured Marion Williams into the studio to make a jazz album. Maybe they should have spoken to her about it before the session, because when she got there, she refused to sing any of that "Devil's Music", so they did one Thomas Dorsey tune, and the other four were spirituals that everyone could get by on, because they were so popular.

She later recorded an album for Atlantic, "Standin' Here, Wonderin' Which Way to Turn" that had a picture of a confused looking hippie on the cover, obviously in need of some direction, because the poor white boy was just standing there on the corner..LOL!

The record had a bunch of upcoming jazz dudes like Joe Zawinul, Keith Jarrett, etc,,, trying to give her spirituals some type of 'contemporary' 60s groove. Probably because of her refusal to sing ANY secular songs, the album didn't expose the best living female gospel singer to the mainstream audience Atlantic wanted her to reach, and that was the last time she had anything to do with anything remotely jazz related.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:24 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I don't think that Ornette Coleman gets classes as "spiritual jazz", but here is an interesting article from the NYT back in the day where he enthuses about the spiritual properties of Southern Christian gospel and Ashkenazi chazonis:

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/22/arts/music/22cole.html

For me, at least if I would exactly know what´s "spiritual" , Ornette Coleman sure is.