Ken Chaney - RIP

Chuck Nessa

The reaction to this thread illuminates a problem recognizing important jazz artists. Ken never left a mark with the general audience. He was much more than that. I worked with him on the first Chicago Jazz Festival.

I take the liberty to post the text of an email from Lauren Deutsch to the board members of the Jazz Institute of Chicago:

With great sadness I want to let you know about the passing of our long-time board member, musician, programming partner and great friend Ken Chaney. He made his transition last night and I do not yet have details about services for him.

Ken was a humble, gentle giant. His impact on our organization has in many ways been under the surface: Ken connected us to the jazz band teachers who helped us create our Jazz Links programs, all of whom he met either as fellow musicians or through workshops he had done at their schools. He presided over our Jazz Links Jam sessions for the past 10 years, giving words of encouragement to many a young aspiring player, many of whom have paid tribute to him on facebook since last night. He had a knack for finding new young talent--introducing us to Corey Wilkes and Maurice Brown while they were still in high school. I doubt you could find a musician in town who would not sing his praises.

Our world and our organization have been richer for Ken being a part of it.

I will send details when I have them

Rest in Peace Mr. Chaney.

In light of the events which took place in Newtown, CT last Friday, and the DEAFENING silence coming from the self-justifying, gun toting idiots in what has now turned into a backwards thinking, backwoods and second rate nation, I'd say that your complaints about the silence over the death of one man in the jazz community are extremely ill-timed to say the least. While I certainly sympathize with anyone who loses a loved one, I believe that as a father yourself, you should be much more concerned with the bigger issue at hand. I'd expect better from someone who has at least a decade and a half on me, and should have been taught about manners and priorites before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye, and back when the people in this great land of ours placed value on such things.

Think before you speak. In the grand scheme of things, your dismay means absolutely nothing when compared to the travesty of six and seven year olds who will no longer have the chance to breathe another breath, let alone produce a jazz record.

I understand that the jazz world is a big one and my mind and time are small, relatively speaking. I recognized Mr. Chaney's name, though only vaguely. So I suppose I was fortunate to have any point of reference. As I implied, what I knew/remembered of him was enough to acknowledge his death as a loss.

Mr. Nessa's (implied) praise in the first post suggested that Mr. Chaney's music was potentially more valuable than my feeble memory and point of exposure (Young-Holt) had allowed me to recognize. And so I pledged to myself to investigate a bit deeper.

I suppose an artist's passing is something of a wake-up call opportunity for me. I read an obituary and am inspired. Often, my recognition of the artist's value comes "too late", but I will accept that over "never".

So I thank Mr. Nessa for pointing out one I may have otherwise missed. (I haven't yet had a chance to do that further exploration yet.). I do this because, frankly, Mr. Nessa has credibility. If I read in the USA Today that "jazz great xxxxxx has passed" at age 24, and it's someone I haven't heard of in my forty-plus years listening and learning, I'd be more inclined to shrug and move on.

Edited to add...

I'm capable of multiple, simultaneous thoughts. I can be outraged over murder, joyous about my friend's new job and interested in learning something new at the same time.

Edited by BeBop

What the heck are you typing about?

Ken's death has nothing to do with any other news item.

I was lamenting the fact of artists working hard "behind the scenes" are neglected by most folks.

You always seem to be looking for a fight.

Never said that his death had to do with the "other" news item. Just pointing out something that should should REALLY be peeved about. As usual, I see that some others here are all too eager to fall in line and brown-nose their way into the heart of the famous jazz producer. Credibiliity, real or imagined, has nothing to do with the fact that you choose to focus your energies on that instead of what is really the unfortunate travesty -- the death of a nation. Fame, or lack thereof, has no bearing on that.

Couldn't agree more.

Slurp!

I was lamenting the fact of artists working hard "behind the scenes" are neglected by most folks.

Never said that his death had to do with the "other" news item. Just pointing out something that should should REALLY be peeved about. As usual, I see that some others here are all too eager to fall in line and brown-nose their way into the heart of the famous jazz producer. Credibiliity, real or imagined, has nothing to do with the fact that you choose to focus your energies on that instead of what is really the unfortunate travesty -- the death of a nation. Fame, or lack thereof, has no bearing on that.

Couldn't agree more.

Slurp!

Pretty sad if this is the best you can come up with to justify your initial post, which had to do with your feelings and had nothing to do with this thread.

Couldn't agree more.

Slurp!

Pretty sad if this is the best you can come up with to justify your initial post, which had to do with your feelings and had nothing to do with this thread.

What do you know? I pointed out my feelings about the initial "react to me" post. It's really quite simple: should one be more outraged that a jazz figure is unknown and unrecognized and goes unmourned when he passes, or that people (NRA, militia, militants, and other gun lovers) remain silent on a more prevalent problem in this country?

What's pretty sad is that YOU don't get that.

Couldn't agree more.

Slurp!

What do you know? I pointed out my feelings about the initial "react to me" post. It's really quite simple: should one be more outraged that a jazz figure is unknown and unrecognized and goes unmourned when he passes, or that people (NRA, militia, militants, and other gun lovers) remain silent on a more prevalent problem in this country?

Why must only thing at a time get one's goat, and why must those those things be ranked in some inflexibly "proper" moral order? If, say, I'm disturbed by the behavior of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, must I be counted immoral, insensitive, what have you if I don't in the same breath speak out about the need for gun control in the U.S.? Right, I forget -- Carthage delenda est.

Couldn't agree more.

Slurp!

Why must only thing at a time get one's goat, and why must those those things be ranked in some inflexibly "proper" moral order? If, say, I'm disturbed by the behavior of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, must I be counted immoral, insensitive, what have you if I don't in the same breath speak out about the need for gun control in the U.S.? Right, I forget -- Carthage delenda est.

Perspective and relativity are everything.

To be upset by the perceived silence over the death of one's friend is understandable. However, to be upset over the silence and unwillingness to bend from a group of people who carry more political clout than deserved in this country takes precedence. That's the silence which not only upsets the families of the victims in this case, but one that should upset each and every one of us who reside in America.

As a father of two teenagers who happen to attend schools not 50 miles from where said incident took place, I am frightened not only for my children, but also for the direction this country has taken. Perhaps I was a little heavy handed, and for that I apologize, but hopefully you and others here now see my point.

Edited by JETman

Couldn't agree more.

Slurp!

Perspective and relativity are everything.

To be upset by the perceived silence over the death of one's friend is understandable. However, to be upset over the silence and unwillingness to bend from a group of people who carry more political clout than deserved in this country takes precedence. That's the silence which not only upsets the families of the victims in this case, but one that should upset each and every one of us who reside in America.

As a father of two teenagers who happen to attend schools not 50 miles from where said incident took place, I am frightened not only for my children, but also for the direction this country has taken. Perhaps I was a little heavy handed, and for that I apologize, but hopefully you and others here now see my point.

But why must you link the contextual acts of speech or silence on the one topic (the one that was under discussion here) to contextual acts of speech or silence on the other topic -- and do so in a holier than thou, blaming manner? Further, you have no reason I can see to believe that anyone who has contributed to this thread is any less disturbed by what happened in Newtown and what is happening and not happening in its aftermath than you are -- unless, that is, you are of the school that holds that one must say the equivalent of Carthage delenda est every time one opens one's mouth in public.