Eric Dolphy

Milestones

Up in honor of one of my favorite jazz artists on his birthday. I listened to some of the Five Spot recordings in the Prestige box set last night... still capable of making me exclaim “Damn!” from time to time. The weird thing is that the out-of-tune piano now sounds right to me... is that just because I’ve listened to this music so many times? Or that it almost seems to fit with the sound of what Dolphy and Little are doing anyway? Or that Mal Waldron did what so many jazz pianists in clubs have had to do and somehow made it work?

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Up in honor of one of my favorite jazz artists on his birthday. I listened to some of the Five Spot recordings in the Prestige box set last night... still capable of making me exclaim “Damn!” from time to time. The weird thing is that the out-of-tune piano now sounds right to me... is that just because I’ve listened to this music so many times? Or that it almost seems to fit with the sound of what Dolphy and Little are doing anyway? Or that Mal Waldron did what so many jazz pianists in clubs have had to do and somehow made it work?

I have always really loved Mal's work on those recordings, out of tune piano and all.