Music for String Orchestra

A Lark Ascending

Delius - Two Aquarelles. Just four minutes of what is probably considered 'slight' music. The first is a typical Delius 'longing at twilight' piece - descending lines that have you reflecting on the things you miss. The second, a jaunty piece in 'Appalachia' style, anticipating Gershwin.

Generally to be found tucked away on Delius compilations or multi-composer samplers.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yes, the Barber Adagio is very moving - despite being used somewhat manipulatively in all manner of contexts requiring 'sorrow', it still gets to me.

This is a lovely CD of little known string music:

61qknGHTHBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Concerto for String Orchestra; Elegy, First Suite; Serenade

Howells is hardcore English pastoralism so will have many running for the hills (or, more likely, modern urban city centres). Not as original as RVW (he was heavily influenced by him) but Howells produced some beautiful music.

Dvorak - Serenade for Strings. I'm new to this one this year - another of those pieces heard in passing and then tracked down.

Wonder why these string pieces tend to dwell on the melancholy? Any upbeat string pieces?

I was going to mention this one - I've got this recording, on which the string Serenade (Op. 22) is paired with an equally wonderful wind Serenade (Op. 44):

5fe1eb6709a0522a4b434110.L._AA300_.jpg

Yes, I like the Holberg too. Also Dag Wiren's Serenade. Have it on this, a very early CD acquisition:

4f1da52662f6a_67628b.jpg

In fact I'll play that now.

A bit earlier I played the Britten Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge . Quite light and airy - almost Italian - for most of its course but darkens towards the end, finishing with a most wonderful Mahlerian adagio (similar to music at the end of both his vocal 'Nocturne' and 'Death in Venice').

Surprised no-one has mentioned Mozart's 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' yet.

• 1 month later...

Henze - Fantasia for Strings

Played this today. Another beautiful string piece. Mainly slow and mournful but more upbeat, Stravinsky-esque central and final sections to provide contrast.

The Air-Pastorale-Air section sounds quite English!

Beautiful return to the mournful for the ending.

Part of it was used in 'The Exorcist', it seems,

• 1 month later...