MCD1015 - J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding

MCD1019 - Helen Merrill

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like Bechet and have almost all of the Blue Note and RCA Victor master takes, and the Bechet set looks great. My only concern is the many alternate takes. Can someone comment on whether the takes are that different from each other? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I'm trying to prioritize among these many great sets that are about to disappear. . . .Thanks!

I really like Bechet and have almost all of the Blue Note and RCA Victor master takes, and the Bechet set looks great. My only concern is the many alternate takes. Can someone comment on whether the takes are that different from each other? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I'm trying to prioritize among these many great sets that are about to disappear. . . .Thanks!

I'm struggling with the decision of whether or not to grab this now. I love Bechet deeply, but that means that I've had most of this material for years. I just looked closely at the contents of this set, and if I bought it, it would be to get 13 tracks (mostly alternate takes) that I don't have (out of 69). There's only one master take on this set that I don't have. Sigh... decisions....

I have an old Columbia 6-eye LP with the master takes of most of the 1947 material; I spun it tonight, interspersed with the alternates I have, from the Network Alternative Takes Volume 2 CD. Based on what I heard tonight, I would say that some of the alternates are less than essential. But....

The alternates of the tunes that are more or less set pieces for Bechet ("Just One of Those Things" and "Song of Songs," for instance) are not appreciably different from the master takes. But others are - there's a take of "Love for Sale" that's both faster than the master and quite a bit longer - so there's a different approach and quite a bit more improvising.

So - tough call. But if you don't have the 1923-25 material, you should go for it.

How does the Mosaic Bechet set compared to the JSP Bechet set in terms of overlap?

Only nine tracks overlap, all master takes from 1937 and 1938. Get both!

I'm struggling with the decision of whether or not to grab this now. I love Bechet deeply, but that means that I've had most of this material for years. I just looked closely at the contents of this set, and if I bought it, it would be to get 13 tracks (mostly alternate takes) that I don't have (out of 69). There's only one master take on this set that I don't have. Sigh... decisions....

If you let me know which ones, I'd be happy to tell you if those alternates differ a lot (and whether that master is especially good).

So - tough call. But if you don't have the 1923-25 material, you should go for it.

Indeed. You could also get the one-disc "Young Sidney Bechet" on Timeless if that's all you're after, though. FWIW, I would describe the sound on that as a little more "open". Both sound great.

As if it needs mentioning, the Lee Wiley is exquisite.

dang! :tup :tup :tup

So is the Merrill/Katz, but I think some said the Mosaic was sounding bad? (I've got the two Universal/Gitanes discs, so I never bothered about the Mosaic.) Glorious music, in my opinion some of the very finest in vocal modern jazz.

It's pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get rid of the remaining Singles and Selects as soon as possible, even if the licenses are not expiring soon or the total sold is not even near the limit, and concentrate on the big boxes.

Edited by J.A.W.

back to the roots ... in light of the lacking profitability, that would indeed make sense - close the chapter and focus on the main beef.

too bad about it, but we can't help it any more - hey, don't blame me, I got plenty of Selects and Singles! I did buy them when they were around ... and I nearly panicked when the big pressing plant disaster took place, striving to get as many of the Selects I missed as possible - I wonder if that incident might have had a decisive influence on the decision to stop the Selects? It was really pretty bad!

Even though I bought them, I was never a big fan of the Singles. They were either too ambitious and not ambitious enough. I'm thinking particularly of the J. J. Johnson RCA single and the Woody Herman Woody's Winners one. Both of those artists would have fared far better with Selects, which I thought were, in fact, a pretty good idea. But, so it goes. If it means more big boxes, I'm all for it!

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my Earl Hines box. Takes a while to get across the country, I guess. :angry:

Even though I bought them, I was never a big fan of the Singles. They were either too ambitious and not ambitious enough. I'm thinking particularly of the J. J. Johnson RCA single and the Woody Herman Woody's Winners one. Both of those artists would have fared far better with Selects, which I thought were, in fact, a pretty good idea. But, so it goes. If it means more big boxes, I'm all for it!

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my Earl Hines box. Takes a while to get across the country, I guess. :angry:

Regarding the delay, I am pretty sure since few past orders and after they outsourced the logistics, that the actual shipping date vary significantly from the shipping notification we receive. In my case it happened at least twice to be 10 days later!

Regarding the delay, I am pretty sure since few past orders and after they outsourced the logistics, that the actual shipping date vary significantly from the shipping notification we receive. In my case it happened at least twice to be 10 days later!

I was perhaps a bit too impatient--my Hines box arrived today, and disc 7 (I decided to start with the last one) is spinning on my cd player as I type. Sound is great.

gregmo

It's pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get rid of the remaining Singles and Selects as soon as possible, even if the licenses are not expiring soon or the total sold is not even near the limit, and concentrate on the big boxes.

That wouldn't surprise me either but there are eight selects with a restock date.

That wouldn't surprise me either but there are eight selects with a restock date.

Ah, hadn't noticed that. So much for my speculation :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has the Basie Verve (#223) been on the "last chance" list for longtime?

Hadn't noticed (or already forgotten again since I've long owned it).

Also right now the Tolliver and Onzy Matthews Selects show up on both lists.

Got my Newman/Cohn/Green and Pendulum Selects last week, so I'm safe for the moment.