Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a surprise half-day off today and pulled out the one Hutcherson LP in my collection that is included in the Select and gave in, placed my order, along with the Jazz Crusaders and the Jazz Piano Single - sigh .... but I can afford it at the moment, and y'all know how it feels.

Now the one that still bugs me is the Woody Herman ... spinning the 3 LP Columbia set right now ... oh my .... do I need seven discs ofthis or is the 3 LP selection good enough for me?

I'd say no. I bought the 7cd Herman Columbia for around £20 some years ago but in reality the 2CD set I already had was really more than adequate.

I'd disagree there ... the Herman is full to the brim with brilliant arrangements and mighty fine playing. Your mileage may vary, of course, as they say - but to me, this is a fantastic band and a great set (mighty fine liner notes with insightful comments on the music, too).

I'd disagree there ... the Herman is full to the brim with brilliant arrangements and mighty fine playing. Your mileage may vary, of course, as they say - but to me, this is a fantastic band and a great set (mighty fine liner notes with insightful comments on the music, too).

Seconded on the music. I thought I was going to be put off by all the vocals, but surprisingly, that was not the case. There are certainly some clunkers in Woody's vocals, but overall, as king ubu said, the arrangements are brilliant, the band swings like crazy, and the sound is excellent.

Even more seconded on the liner notes, which in my opinion, are some of the best of any Mosaic set I own.

I love, love, love the following passage from the booklet:

(They) no doubt would have attracted greater critical and historical attention had they been based in New York.

Yet such a move was not in the cards for a band that had been formed by the blues-drenched atmosphere of their hometown, Houston, Texas; that from the outset recognized and saw no problem with the need to retain ties to their community and communicate with their listeners (hence the inordinate number of singles released by the band in the '60s); and that quickly rejected the East Coast/West Coast scheme and declared themselves to be Gulf Coast musicians. It was this mindset that led them to drop Jazz from their name, and that is well expressed by Joe Sample when he says that "I visited New York in '63, intending to move there, but I noticed that what I valued about jazz was being discarded. I ran into 'out-to-lunch' free jazz, and the notion that groove was old-fashioned. All around the United States, I could see jazz becoming linear, a horn-player's world. It made me realize that we were not jazz musicians; we were territory musicians in love with all forms of African-American music. All of the musicians I loved were territory musicians, deeply into blues and gospel as well as jazz.

"Eric Clapton once told me, 'You're not a jazz musician, you're a blues musician,' and he's right. We couldn't help but be influenced by the energy and the soulfulness of a Howlin' Wolf or a Muddy Waters - even though educators, purists and critics believe that these things are passé. The art buffs want to dictate that, as art, jazz must go on to something new. I'm looking for what comes naturally out of a neighborhood, out of a community of musicians. I'm not interested in slide rules; I'm only interested in the productive side of a culture. I hear it in Beethoven, in great Russian music - it's a spiritual sense coming out of the spirit of mankind, and you won't find it on a slide rule. So ultimately we started playing our music, and all those musicians who wouldn't give us our due would stumble if they got up on the bandstand with us. Crusaders music may sound easy, but when they tried to play our groove we would kick their butts hard."

Had a surprise half-day off today and pulled out the one Hutcherson LP in my collection that is included in the Select and gave in, placed my order, along with the Jazz Crusaders and the Jazz Piano Single - sigh .... but I can afford it at the moment, and y'all know how it feels.

Picked it up at the local customs office yesteday, all mighty fine stuff ....

What bugs me a little is that the Zeitlin Select that I had ordered two weeks before this package, still hasn't arrived ...

What bugs me a little is that the Zeitlin Select that I had ordered two weeks before this package, still hasn't arrived ...

Maybe it lulls people who are just handling it into a sleep?

:crazy:

I'd say not if they have ears to listen ... but then that pretty often proves a rather rare treat if you exit this place and enter real world.

Crossing my fingers, Mike! If bad comes to worse, let me know ...

• 1 month later...

Sarah Vaughan and Django Reinhardt sets now on Last Chance

During the recent sale of EMI Music, pieces of the company were sold to Warner Bros. rather than Universal Music. As a result, we lost the rights to manufacture more of our Sarah Vaughan (Roulette) and Django Reinhardt (EMI France) sets. The supplies we have on both sets are very low and will only be available for a short time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Edited by bluesoul

Sarah Vaughan and Django Reinhardt sets now on Last Chance

During the recent sale of EMI Music, pieces of the company were sold to Warner Bros. rather than Universal Music. As a result, we lost the rights to manufacture more of our Sarah Vaughan (Roulette) and Django Reinhardt (EMI France) sets. The supplies we have on both sets are very low and will only be available for a short time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The Bunny Berigan set made a comeback on Last Chance

:blush: (heck, really sorry...)

This sort of reminds me of that last 'night of the long knives' when all those boxes and Selects all disappeared real fast. Was that back in 2010?

I lost some minutes looking for something to supplement it... and there you are.