Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm crazy - let the Duke small groups follow. The shipping costs are about the same when I order both at once via UPS or separately via standard mail.

Okay, that means no more CDs for the next four months.

You'll enjoy the Ellington and Hampton for the rest of your life. When they arrive, sit down, listen, and enjoy.

I'll admit to being ignorant and having largely ignored Ellington's own recordings until now (I currently only have the underwhelming Impulse album with Coltrane). Will I regret not getting this later on? I generally prefer quartets/quintets over big bands and orchestras.

This will depend on how much you are into 'thirties music I think. This is some of the best music of the decade, and these sides have rarely sounded better, and have never been assembled in this way with consistent mastering any better, not even close. I'd sample some tracks, and if you feel you'll grow into really enjoying the music, this is a set to target, certainly.

You have some good choices though if you're a vinyl player or will be moving in that direction--the Smithsonian LP collections of this material sound very very good imo. And are not that hard to gather reasonably priced.

Edited by jazzbo

I'll admit to being ignorant and having largely ignored Ellington's own recordings until now (I currently only have the underwhelming Impulse album with Coltrane). Will I regret not getting this later on? I generally prefer quartets/quintets over big bands and orchestras.

If you decide to explore Ellingtonia, you'll find a world of great music there.

I promised myself to get a new amp and speakers by June. Any Mosaics that are on my list going last chance before then could spoil that party. I guess I'll take Lon's advice and find a way to preview some of the music. I do love Billy Holiday on Columbia, but my collection really begins with Thelonious Monk and Charlie Parker in the forties.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on last chance:

The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band.

Complete Roy Eldridge

The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions

The Complete Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet

These are Universal sets with a Universal number on the back, but are part of the limited number of sets

Back on last chance:

Complete Roy Eldridge

These are Universal sets with a Universal number on the back, but are part of the limited number of sets

The Jazztet and Farlow sets are excellent.

Back on last chance:

Complete Roy Eldridge

Since the others have already been recommended...I'll jump in and recommend the Mulligan. It's fantastic!

And the mastering, by Malcolm Addey, is superb.

Here's what the Mosaic site says about these sets that suddenly re-appeared:

A number of years back we issued a few sets jointly with Universal Music; we retained U.S. distribution rights and Universal released the sets at retail throughout the rest of the world. These sets were part of their retail distribution. The music and the booklet are exactly the same and are part of the same limited edition.

Please note the following caveats about these sets:

Each set has a Universal number on the spine. The CDs also carry this catalog number.

None of the booklets from these sets have an individual limited edition number but state that the set is one of 10,000 copies.

None of the CDs are shrink-wrapped

The same booklet that accompanied the regular Mosaic set is included.

Back on last chance:

Complete Roy Eldridge

Since the others have already been recommended...I'll jump in and recommend the Mulligan. It's fantastic!

And the mastering, by Malcolm Addey, is superb.

Caveat Emptor!! I purchased the Farlow Universal/Mosaic a few years back -> the first track of Disc 6 "Lean On Me" has distortion/clicking for the first 30secs

I was not able to do an exchange through Mosaic as I did not purchase it from them - I didn't bother returning it as I sourced it quite cheaply here in Brisbane (from a record shop)

Alternatively I had the Verve Elite version so still had a good copy of "Lean On Me"

I'm wondering how many other sets were affected similarly - anyone with a Universal set have a listen? (what about the standard Mosaic)