Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Art Farmer / Benny Golson is gone again - glad I got me a copy many years ago, lots of fine music.

My current interest in Gary McFarland and Bob Brookmeyer made me order the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band Set. In fact there are five McFarland arrangements included.

Carpe Diem!

Although it will involve some financial maneuvering, I ordered the Roy Eldridge set this morning. The invaluable Vogue 20-CD set, which also inspired me to get the Hampton set, is to blame. It led me to pull out Little Jazz and pick up the Uptown compilation with Gene Krupa and Anita O'Day, and I knew that I'd regret missing out on the Eldridge box. Although the Eldridge box is available as a download on Amazon for a reasonable price, the physical box still commands a high price. In addition to my budding interest in Eldridge and Benny Carter, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Oscar Peterson.

Caveat Emptor!! I purchased the Farlow Universal/Mosaic a few years back -> the first track of Disc 6 "Lean On Me" has distortion/clicking for the first 30secs

I was not able to do an exchange through Mosaic as I did not purchase it from them - I didn't bother returning it as I sourced it quite cheaply here in Brisbane (from a record shop)

Alternatively I had the Verve Elite version so still had a good copy of "Lean On Me"

I'm wondering how many other sets were affected similarly - anyone with a Universal set have a listen? (what about the standard Mosaic)

Oddly disc 6 of the Farlow is the only disc of any Mosaic that wouldn't rip for me. I tried two MacBooks and two disc drives and ended up ripping the Elite instead. I've never noticed the distortion.

Caveat Emptor!! I purchased the Farlow Universal/Mosaic a few years back -> the first track of Disc 6 "Lean On Me" has distortion/clicking for the first 30secs

I was not able to do an exchange through Mosaic as I did not purchase it from them - I didn't bother returning it as I sourced it quite cheaply here in Brisbane (from a record shop)

Alternatively I had the Verve Elite version so still had a good copy of "Lean On Me"

I'm wondering how many other sets were affected similarly - anyone with a Universal set have a listen? (what about the standard Mosaic)

Oddly disc 6 of the Farlow is the only disc of any Mosaic that wouldn't rip for me. I tried two MacBooks and two disc drives and ended up ripping the Elite instead. I've never noticed the distortion.

Well, now I am curious/nervous. I'm almost certain I ripped the set shortly after purchasing, and I can't remember any problems, but I guess I should go check it out...

same here, I couldn't rip the disc also (on top of the 30 secs of distortion at the start of track 1)

same here, I couldn't rip the disc also (on top of the 30 secs of distortion at the start of track 1)

No probem at all with my Cd 6. Ripped and played without distortion. It is a Mosaic Set #1608.

Edited by Alexandros

I bought the european Universal version of the Farlow set several years ago and it had the distortion on Disc 6 and a friend of mine got one also and it had the distortion on Disc 6 too. We didn't get them directly from Mosaic so we couldn't return them for replacement. However, I had the Verve elite edition of the single CD with the song "Lean On Me" on it so I created my own un-distorted version of Disc 6. The Tal Farlow set is one of my favorite Mosaic sets and one that I play a lot.

I bought the european Universal version of the Farlow set several years ago and it had the distortion on Disc 6 and a friend of mine got one also and it had the distortion on Disc 6 too. We didn't get them directly from Mosaic so we couldn't return them for replacement. However, I had the Verve elite edition of the single CD with the song "Lean On Me" on it so I created my own un-distorted version of Disc 6. The Tal Farlow set is one of my favorite Mosaic sets and one that I play a lot.

Thanks for the feedback

Looks like some (or all) of the Universal pressings have a faulty disc 6

I have the european Universal copy and hear no distortion on disc 6.

Looks like some lucked out with sets without the distortion. I forgot to add in my comment above that my friend sent his set back to the seller (which was not Mosaic) for a replacement set and he got back a new sealed set from them but it still had the distortion. So the distortion must have been on quite a few of the European Universal Tal Farlow sets but maybe not all. I don't believe I ever heard that the distortion was on any of the US direct from Mosaic sets.