Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first musical nightmare since Greece's banking collapse starts. The Greek credit cards are blocked by our banking system for purchases abroad. However some cards may escape. So I tried to place my Mosaic order for the Sam Rivers Select. Cross your fingers...

What about parking an x amount of Euros in your PayPal account? Most online stores accept PayPal, Amazon being the exception.

My first musical nightmare since Greece's banking collapse starts. The Greek credit cards are blocked by our banking system for purchases abroad. However some cards may escape. So I tried to place my Mosaic order for the Sam Rivers Select. Cross your fingers...

What about parking an x amount of Euros in your PayPal account? Most online stores accept PayPal, Amazon being the exception.

Paypal suspended their cooperation with Greek Banks and we are not allowed in any case to transfer money to bank accounts abroad...

I was just noticing how few Selects and Singles are still available. It's too bad because I think both had their place in the Mosaic catalog, but I guess they just weren't profitable.

In the meantime I ordered Art Farmer "The Time And The Place." I didn't realize how special that album was until I read the blurb, and that music probably won't be available again once it's gone. I haven't heard any of it, but look forward to getting it.

So what was the problem with the Selects that made them unprofitable?  And at what "per disc" price would they have had to charge for them to be equally profitable to the big boxes?  Was it just an economy of scale? - in terms of the amount of cost per release, regardless of whether it was a 3-disc Select, or a 6-disc big-box?

I'm sure I knew the answer years ago, but have long since forgotten.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Agreed that it was a great series, wish it could have continued.  I have 13:

2) Carmell Jones, 3) Bennie Green, 4) Randy Weston, 6) John Patton, 7) Curtis Amy, 11) Dizzy Reece, 14) Dexter Gordon (d/l), 15) Art Pepper, 21) Gerry Mulligan, 22) Sidney Bechet, 26) Bobby Hutcherson (d/l), 27) Cohn, Newman & Green, 30) Boogie Woogie & Blues Piano.

• 4 weeks later...

Never caught him live ... and am not that familiar with his big band music, so .... would love to have such memories though!

Yeah - the gig at Bath was particularly memorable. I got to see him put away his assorted instruments, signed my Mosaic booklet and a few LPs and reminisced a bit about the Blue Note recordings and his favourite LP cover design ('A New Conception'). That was an evening and a half..

Edited by sidewinder