Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, crisp said:

Thanks very much for this. Got three much-coveted sets that went oop before I discovered Mosaic.

I was tempted with one of those Buck Claytons but the postage and import charges plus a weak £ turned me off. Great opportunity to pick up some mint low numbered sets though !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the two Decca CDs Orrin Keepnews compiled - the vocals therein are all real hip. Without them the band wouldn't have been what it was.

20 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

The Lunceford was a revelation to me.

Same here, when I had a closer listen to the Decca/GRP CDs. I think it's not exaggerating when I put the band in one league with Ellington during the years covered by this set.

On 19.1.2017 at 8:42 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

Depends on the period and the singers you refer to. I am slightly underwhelmed by quite a bit of the Dan Grissom stuff. Hasn't aged well.

Yes, but when some of the band members sing (there's that trio) or when they all sing, I usually quite enjoy it.

1 hour ago, bigbandrecord said:

Any thoughts/insights on the Rosemary Clooney set that is on running low.  As far as vocals are concerned the years of this set is about where my cutoff is for vocals......I like older(1920's-50's) vocals not the newer stuff.

I own it.  Rosie is in fine voice.  But there are two things you should know:  Most of the tracks are very short - two minutes or so.  And most tracks have a backing combo whose lead instrument is organ.  That organ is not greasy.  This lends an unusual texture to a lot of the tracks.  You should try to hear some complete tracks to see if it's to your taste.