Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

That is good to know about the organ. In the sound samples, that the organ, as you aptly said, is not greasy, is quite the understatement. Not sure I could handle five discs worth of that. BUT the briefness of the songs is not an issue to me and lends itself well to Clooney's conception of them, at least in the samples.

I am definitely on the fence about this one. I wouldn't ordinarily consider it, but the Peggy Lee / June Christy Mosaic was such a welcome surprise to me on how much I enjoyed it, that I am considering the Clooney because her conception seems at least somewhat similar to June Christy's in spirit.

The Lunceford will be a definite purchase.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be tempted on the Clooney, that kind of organ sound is not unfamiliar to me, from all sorts of late 40s/early 50s "white" pop, and I'd love to hear her sing good songs unfettered by Mitch Miller's ideas about what would make them more sellable, she was a really fine singer when left to her own devices, but...I gotta get the Hines & the Lunceford first. And in the end, I guess you can find all kinds of singers doing all kinds of versions of all kinds of those songs, and I'm not really looking to go there right now.

However....seems like it should be a really fine collection of good songs well sung, and I think I'd like it if it was free or something like that.

If you like Oliver Nelson, it's a great way to get a lot of it. None of it is his really lowest-tier/hack/deadline work, and a good amount of it is outstanding - IF you like Oliver Nelson's writing.

I love Oliver Nelson's writing, so I bought it more or less when it came out. Keep in mind that I love listening to different big bands as orchestral music, the inner parts, the ensemble/section work, all the things that come with performing written music. I've had occasion to play a few of Nelson's arrangements, so I tend to listen to the waaaay inside parts and LMFAO, it's so good what he does, the choices he makes.

Not everybody listens to big(ger) band music like that, though. If you tend to hear Oliver Nelson's writing as sounding more or less "all the same", then it's still a great way to get a lot of it, but what the "it" of it is might not be the same for you as it is for me. So....proceed accordingly, I suppose. all I can tell you is that Oliver Nelson was a baaaaaaad man.

I had never focused on the discography before; it seems like it's a lot more than just an "Oliver Nelson box."  There's 6 Jimmy Smith albums (although I accept they sound very different than JOS on BN), a Pee Wee Russell, a Ray Brown/Milt Jackson, and a Shirley Scott.

On 1/27/2017 at 5:47 AM, bigbandrecord said:

I went on you tube to hear some sound samples....didn't like the singing.....sounded like restrained pretentious to me......to be honest I was only curious about this set because it hasn't been out that long(2 1/2 years) and already running low.  The organ part wasn't a major problem for me.

Definitely a "different strokes for different folks" moment, I guess.  The very last word I would ever use to describe Rosemary Clooney's singing at any stage of her career is "pretentious".  For me, her singing is very direct, honest and free of artifice or pretense.

My sentiments as bigbandrecord above.  Last year, I gave away my Nelson box (to a young arranger).  As I already own the LPs of Nelson (alone) leading his big bands up to 'Sound Pieces' -- it took one listen to the entire box set to realize I didn't need his stretches into the 'Kennedy Dream', Shirley Scott, Jimmy Smith, and Pee Wee Russell. 

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but Mosaic has free shipping through February 12th, and reduced rates for international.

Free Shipping!

ONE WEEK ONLY!

Available now thru
Sunday February 12th.

Free Shipping In The U.S. For Orders Over $50 

For international orders over $50 our airmail shipping rates have been reduced by 50%.

For Canadian shipments orders from
$50 - $200 the shipping charge is only $5 and any size order over $200 is only $10. 

2 hours ago, mr jazz said:

Any comments on the Woody Herman select?

To my ears, it loses a little steam as time progresses, but the first 2/3 of it is some archetypal full-blown Herdiness, so if you like that kind of thing (and at this level, I more than just "like" it), it's an essential purchase. That shit be DRIVING! A working band that had time to gel in a deep way.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

To my ears, it loses a little steam as time progresses, but the first 2/3 of it is some archetypal full-blown Herdiness, so if you like that kind of thing (and at this level, I more than just "like" it), it's an essential purchase. That shit be DRIVING! A working band that had time to gel in a deep way.

What Jim said. I think this was one of Herman's really great bands. Others on the board disagree (Lon, are you there?!)

gregmo

22 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Woody had a number of really good bands. This is among them, I really like the Select and the sound is very good.

Sorry Lon, I thought I'd remembered you were iffy on this one. But my memory is not what it used to be (not that it ever was....)!

gregmo

I think I've been pretty happy with this one from the start. . . . I was iffy on Capitol era Herman for a while, but warmed up to it just before Mosaic got to it, which was a handy coincidence. 

When these present Selects and Singles are gone. .. there will be no more. That's a sinking feeling.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

When these present Selects and Singles are gone. .. there will be no more. That's a sinking feeling.

Which is SUCH a shame.  I *loved* the "Select" format.  Sure, it wouldn't necessarily include repros of quite all the album covers (if there were more than 4 in a single set).  But other than that tiny quibble, I don't think I can think of a single complaint about any of the dozen(?) Selects I own.  I say "dozen" - that's just a wild guess, off the top of my head, it might be closer to 15 that I own, come to think of it.

EDIT:  **HA!!** -- I own exactly 15 Selects; I just counted:

• MS-001 Mosaic Select: Grachan Moncur
  • MS-002 Mosaic Select: Carmell Jones
  • MS-004 Mosaic Select: Randy Weston
  • MS-005 Mosaic Select: Paul Chambers
  • MS-006 Mosaic Select: John Patton
  • MS-007 Mosaic Select: Curtis Amy
  • MS-011 Mosaic Select: Dizzy Reece
  • MS-016 Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill
  • MS-020 Mosaic Select: Charles Tolliver
  • MS-023 Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill: Solo
  • MS-025 Mosaic Select: McCoy Tyner
  • MS-026 Mosaic Select: Bobby Hutcherson
  • S-034 Mosaic Select: Denny Zeitlin
  • MS-037 Mosaic Select: Charles Tolliver Big Band
  • MS-038 Mosaic Select: Sam Rivers Rivbea Orchestra

If you don't count my extra (safety) copy of the Hill 'BN' Select (the only Mosaic I've ever bought two copies of).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I liked the Select formula, too. I guess the economics of the recorded music industry are taking their toll.

I have a very similar collection as Rooster (but only 10), with a few exceptions: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 16, 20, 26 + Tony Williams and Akiyoshi/Tabackin

On 2/5/2017 at 9:00 AM, bluesoul said:

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but Mosaic has free shipping through February 12th, and reduced rates for international.

Free Shipping!

ONE WEEK ONLY!

Available now thru
Sunday February 12th.

Free Shipping In The U.S. For Orders Over $50 

For international orders over $50 our airmail shipping rates have been reduced by 50%.

For Canadian shipments orders from
$50 - $200 the shipping charge is only $5 and any size order over $200 is only $10. 

FYI on the "Free Shipping" - only if over $50.

Edited by BFrank

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

So this is really the case? A fellow on another board was asking
about this and I wasn't sure if they were just reprinting the old ones
at various times or if it really was the end of these. There are quite a
few that you can still get thru Amazon for a pretty decent price,
so I sent the fellow there. I've got all of the Singles and Selects
(rodcast a few years ago?), but I'd like to take advantage of the
free shipping, so I'm gonna have a looky-see on some others!

So what happened with the Selects series?  I know, they couldn't make the $ work (somehow), or some reason along those lines.  But was there anything else more specific?  What is it about the Selects that made them unworkable (as opposed to the big boxes).  I mean, if they can't make the Select series viable, what in the world is keeping the big-box series viable?

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

So what happened with the Selects series?  I know, they couldn't make the $ work (somehow), or some reason along those lines.  But was there anything else more specific?  What is it about the Selects that made them unworkable (as opposed to the big boxes).  I mean, if they can't make the Select series viable, what in the world is keeping the big-box series viable?

Ask them. 

I think that the big boxes have three things going for them: no need to license covers, often they can use the photos they own, and they don't have to pay for color printing.