Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

Compared to what all those original album boxes and others go for, the Selects are high price - that may be the main reason. Look what you can get for the money you need for one Select ... and many projects they may have had in mind were done by Fresh Sound or others. 

There were sets with one, two or three discs well before the Singles and Selects, so it was a new attempt to market these reissues. 

I'll definitely get the Boogie Select with the postage reduction, and maybe the Pass box - I like Pass' playing from those years better than his Pablo albums, his drive and percussive attack. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Compared to what all those original album boxes and others go for, the Selects are high price - that may be the main reason. Look what you can get for the money you need for one Select ... and many projects they may have had in mind were done by Fresh Sound or others. 

There were sets with one, two or three discs well before the Singles and Selects, so it was a new attempt to market these reissues. 

I'll definitely get the Boogie Select with the postage reduction, and maybe the Pass box - I like Pass' playing from those years better than his Pablo albums, his drive and percussive attack. 

Thumbs up for both the Boogie Woogie box and the Pass. Both very nice..

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

There was also the disaster when the processing plant lost all those masters. That may have put them off doing any more.

Dark days.  Anyone have a link to the announcement/discussion about that here?  I've forgotten just how many sets disappeared almost overnight as a result.  Was it all/only Selects that bit the dust in that clusterfuck? - or did any big boxes disappear from lost masters too?

Dark, dark, days.

I thought the price of the selects was just fine. ~$15 per disc, the same as the big boxes (per disc).

Sure, I would have liked to pay less (who wouldn't?), but it never stopped me from buying 15 Selects total. I think I got lots with a 10% discount, or with free shipping (I'd wait until there was a sale of some sort, about once every 18-24 months), and I'd order practically EVERY set (big boxes and Selects) that I felt strongly like I knew I'd get eventually anyway.

So like clockwork, I'd drop about $300-$400 on a bunch of sets all at the same time (once closer to $500, iirc) -- about once every 3-4 years.

But ultimately the price wasn't much of a deterant, and if there had been more Selects I wanted, I'm sure I would have ponied up.

$35 per Select would have been "better" (sure) - but $44 wasn't all that much more to get some *awfully* damn good material.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

5 hours ago, BFrank said:

The 3-disk Selects were deceiving because there were more than 3 albums crammed in there. Usually about 4-6 total.

Definitely, and timings per disc generally well over an hour. Same is true of the big sets (of course), and no one seems to mind paying $16-17 per disc for those. I miss the Selects.

11 hours ago, bluesoul said:

Here's the original thread on that.

I suspect part of the problem with the Selects is that $44 for a 3-disc set without the big box and book just felt too expensive for a lot of people. It's a pity, I really liked the series. 

Thanks.

All in all , nothing earth-shaking happened. Most of those deleted sets, save one or two, are available on eBay at reasonable prices, sometimes at original cost, sometimes just a few bucks more.

On 09/02/2017 at 7:19 AM, BFrank said:

The 3-disk Selects were deceiving because there were more than 3 albums crammed in there. Usually about 4-6 total.

Yep, case in point the Duke Pearson Select, which has two LPs per CD. Makes it quite a good value listen in my book.

On 09/02/2017 at 1:49 AM, bluesoul said:

Here's the original thread on that.

I suspect part of the problem with the Selects is that $44 for a 3-disc set without the big box and book just felt too expensive for a lot of people. It's a pity, I really liked the series. 

Makes me shudder just rereading that ! Fortunately, was able to fill in most of the gaps but never did pick up the Dinah Washington.

Needed to grab the Hines and Lunceford before they totally disappear and the half price shipping will at least offset some of the import tax (;)). Really liked the Rosemary Clooney CBS samples that I've heard as well so I've plumped for that too, although not exactly a fan of ice hockey style organ and celeste. I suspect that this will be a real sleeper gem of a set.