Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This year might get called 'The big Mosaic slaughter'

Added to Running Low The Chick Webb and Ella Fitzgerald, Eddie Condon and Bud Freeman and the Woody Shaw sets.

Total Running Low and Last Chance: 2 LP sets, 2 Selects, 8 big sets and one single.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

They intend to close shop?

Or are the licenses from the Universal group not as long termed as they used to be?

Circumstances change and can change quickly, but there was an interview with Cuscuna recently which seemed to indicate that they planned to continue (was more positive than i'd imagined).

I think as they do small-ish print runs of say 500-1000 at a time (rather than printing the whole 7500 copies of a set all at once and storing them), i think depending on how the set has sold maybe sometimes they opt to let it go OOP voluntarily rather than printing another 500-1000 or whatever. So if it's been sitting on 'this item is backordered' status for a while, maybe they look at it and go, "guys, we ain't gonna sell another 1000 of these, rather than printing 1000 we've got a few returns lying around that we can tidy up and cobble together and put it on 'last chance', and then that's it".

Or maybe the licence runs out. I guess it's case by case.

This is pure speculation on my part. 

Hopefully they simply quickly sold a whole bunch of the Woody Shaw and it will be on Running Low for some time. (It came back in stock only in January.) I just could not take the chance of Jazz Messengers going out of stock and having to order from the USA and pay tens of euros extra on shipping and customs. The customs shakedown is especially galling, politicians and bureaucrats interfering with people's hobbies.

I'm pretty much all in on Mosaic sets at this point - having been a customer since the late 90's.  My personal buying pattern is to cherry pick sets that are currently in release but once they hit the running low category - I'll grab them.  Did the same with Clooney and Hines back in February and Hines is now on Last Chance.

Coltrane 'Sun Ship' on vinyl now seems to have come from nowhere and gone straight into 'Last Chance' :blink:

17 hours ago, miles65 said:

This year might get called 'The big Mosaic slaughter'

More like 'Stamford Chainsaw Massacre'  !

Maybe the reason lots of these sets are running low is that Jazz Messengers et al have been doing some bulk purchases to re-stock?

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Maybe the reason lots of these sets are running low is that Jazz Messengers et al have been doing some bulk purchases to re-stock?

Last I checked their range of stocked titles was modest. Who knows how many copies they have, though.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

More like 'Stamford Chainsaw Massacre'  !

Could it be part of a sinister Trumpocalypse against degenerate art?

Edited by erwbol

Oof but thanks for the heads up. I ordered Shaw, Condon/Freeman and Webb. Three big sets in one go (and I just spent a lot on an oop set from a certain bluenotesound) but I don't want to miss these. I'll cut back over summer (low electricity bills!)

Latest email from Mosaic says that the Brown/Roach 4LP set is now OOP as they don't plan on doing another repressing. That was a good set !

The Webb/Ella and Condon/Freeman are on my radar. The Woody Shaw Muse is a 'must have' IMO, for anyone interested in that material.

Expensive couple of months !

8 hours ago, crisp said:

I'll cut back over summer (low electricity bills!)

Ditto..

Ordered the Ella/Webb and Basie/Pres (via jazzmessengers) ... was unsure about the Ella/Webb all the time, as I think I have all the recordings - but I am a big fan of these Mosaics offering earlier jazz and I'm sure I'll love this one as well (and sound should be better than on the Chronos).

And hoping the James P. will indeed make return (if the Goodman doesn't so be it - that's the only other older one I have on my wishlist still ... also there are the Savoy and Bee Hive sets, not sure about the Bing Crosby).