Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

A few years ago I had promised myself never to post here again (hm, never say never...), but this is too important in my opinion: earlier today I've been in contact with Mosaic's Scott Wenzel and he told me that they're in very bad shape. Their customer base is dying and, of course, downloading isn't helping - for those wondering why downloads aren't offered by Mosaic: no record company, big or small, is allowing them to offer downloads, the licensing agreements are for CD only. And as for vinyl releases, it seems some (most?) of the record labels they're dealing with are hesitant to license stuff for release on LP. Jazz is a niche market and apparently younger people are not that interested, even less so because of that download situation. Let's hope this is not going to be end of Mosaic after 34 years... By the way, before anyone starts wondering if posting this is a good idea, Scott explicitly asked me to tell everyone I know about their situation. 

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

A few years ago I had promised myself never to post here again (hm, never say never...), but this is too important in my opinion: earlier today I've been in contact with Mosaic's Scott Wenzel and he told me that they're in very bad shape. Their customer base is dying and, of course, downloading isn't helping - for those wondering why downloads aren't offered by Mosaic: no record company, big or small, is allowing them to offer downloads, the licensing agreements are for CD only. And as for vinyl releases, it seems some (most?) of the record labels they're dealing with are hesitant to license stuff for release on LP. Jazz is a niche market and apparently younger people are not that interested, even less so because of that download situation. Let's hope this is not going to be end of Mosaic after 34 years... By the way, before anyone starts wondering if posting this is a good idea, Scott explicitly asked me to tell everyone I know about their situation. 

Don't like the sound of that. :(

Thanks for posting this information Hans.  Nice to see you back even if you are only dropping in.  The Mosaic situation sounds kind of dire.  I hope the backordered Mingus and Johnson sets do in fact come back into stock.  Sounds like it is by no means a sure thing.

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Latest email from Mosaic says that the Brown/Roach 4LP set is now OOP as they don't plan on doing another repressing. That was a good set !

The Webb/Ella and Condon/Freeman are on my radar. The Woody Shaw Muse is a 'must have' IMO, for anyone interested in that material.

Expensive couple of months !

Ditto..

Definitely getting the Shaw box. I have a few of the originals on LP (in storage), but don't play records anymore.

I was hoping to get The Complete Clifford Jordan Strata-East Sessions at some point, but it's "back ordered." I wonder if it will ever come back at this point. :huh:

Edited by BFrank

Love the Shaw Muse box.  Had nearly all of it on CD, in those damn 32Jazz issues -- but was glad to upgrade and support Mosaic in the process (got it within the few month or so it was first available).  Wish there had been more previously unreleased material (just one track from the live Berlin "Concert Ensemble" date, iirc, which is my single favorite Shaw leader-date, btw), but I guess there would have been more if only the 32Jazz titles hadn't already included a few alternates here and there.

I have all of the 32 Jazz Shaws I think, plus the Mosaic - and quite a number of them on Muse vinyl. The Mosaic is invariably 'first port of call' if I want to hear any of it, giving best overall playback quality.

I hope that Clifford Jordan box comes back into circulation. 

Edited by sidewinder

On 26.4.2017 at 9:55 PM, mikeweil said:

I'd really love to get these two, but at this moment ..... :(

Decided against the Webb/Fitzgerald, as I never was that much a fan of Ella's voice and style, and ordered the two CDs from HEP with mainly instrumental tracks,as that is what I really want. If the Hiines is still available from Jazz Messengers in two weeks, I will get a copy from them. Sorry to say that, but it would cost me at least 40 bucks more when ordering directly. 

The Joe Pass is on my wish list, too - listened to it on Spotify and liked it, as most early Pass.

2 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Not seeing the Hines set any longer.  I grabbed it when it hit Running Low.  It moved quickly to Last Chance and now appears to be gone.

After reading that I immediately ordered a copy from Jazz Messengers. Phew ....

Seems that the only remaining Select is the Woody Herman...I can give strong recs for that one with the stipulation that if you won't like "that type of thing" in general, then you probably won't like this either. Otherwise, it was great, fiery, swinging band that brought it every time out, and played for keeps...they meant it, if you  know what I mean.

59 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Seems that the only remaining Select is the Woody Herman...I can give strong recs for that one with the stipulation that if you won't like "that type of thing" in general, then you probably won't like this either. Otherwise, it was great, fiery, swinging band that brought it every time out, and played for keeps...they meant it, if you  know what I mean.

Yep. Great set. :tup

Just ordered the Condon, as much for Dan Morgenstern's liner notes as for the music. I have much of it on a JSP box and various other discs.

Also ordered the James P., even though I already have a good deal of what's in it.

Don't see anything else that cries out to me except for maybe the Woody Shaw Muse set. Again, I have most or all of it on single discs, but is the sound quality of the Mosaic a big improvement over prior LP and CD issues?

One that's gone that I found to be a blessing is the Lunceford set. What a fabulous band, and so much of what on that set was new to me. Sets like that are what Mosaic is/was all about.

54 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Just ordered the Condon, as much for Dan Morgenstern's liner notes as for the music. I have much of it on a JSP box and various other discs.

Larry: well worth it because the prior American CD reissues of a lot of the Condon and Bud Freeman Commodores were just horrible sonically; though the LPs were fantastic (and to show you how great minds think alike, I received my Condon Mosaic last Tuesday).

The Earl is in the house! As others said, excellent packing from Jazz Messengers, and friendly service from TNT on the same level. I'm glad I got me a copy, the music and sound are surprising in every respect. Well, I never was disappointed by a Mosaic set.

The Jamal is next, I have decided.

20 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The Earl is in the house! As others said, excellent packing from Jazz Messengers, and friendly service from TNT on the same level. I'm glad I got me a copy, the music and sound are surprising in every respect. Well, I never was disappointed by a Mosaic set.

The Jamal is next, I have decided.

Glad you got it and happy my post about it coming off the last chance on the Mosaic site list played a role in your acquisition.  Feels like I've done a good deed!