Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 06/07/2017 at 0:14 AM, Ken Dryden said:

The problem with selling Mosaic sets on Amazon is that they would have to raise prices significantly to make up for the ridiculous amounts that Amazon charges. It used to be 15% plus 99 cents, but I noticed they were taking a far larger hunk out of my sales. I have basically abandoned Amazon. Half.com was a great place until eBay bought it and ruined it. A lot of stuff that used to sell could no longer be listed. For example, they treated all cutouts as promos and banned them, even though numerous cutouts were to prevent retailers from getting credit at full price on closeouts. 

Well, the amount amazon charge is still pretty reasonable compared to a normal retail markup. Distribution costs money. If Mosaic used a proper distributor they would have saved on running that operation themselves and maybe reached more people. All too late now I suppose but - maybe there were other ways to go - ?

Edited by David Ayers

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Maybe by charging a higher price on Amazon and the regular price at mosaicrecords.com they could drive traffic to their own website. It just seems to me that a presence on Amazon is essential. If Joe Schmoe wants to buy some CDs by, for example, Ahmad Jamal he's going to go to Amazon and probably end up with one of those cheap European public domain sets and never know about the Mosaic box.

Although remember the era of the euromosaic - the sets licensed with Warner for European distribution. That came and went, but was the closest to mainstream distribution Mosaic ever got. There was a time too when amazon searches threw up Mosaic sponsored ads. All in the past anyway. You can stream the Mosaic Jamal now so buyers now are a minority.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, bigbandrecord said:

LP reissues came out in the late 70's on Fantasy/Prestige.....the sound on these are fine acceptable and at least it's real......@ 1991 4 2cd sets of this material was reissued with de-natured sound on the same fantasy/prestige moniker.  Fast forward to 2010 universal music Italia releases the same identical masters with the same crappy sound as the early 1990 reissues as an 8 CD set. This is what you downloaded.  The mastering probably did more to sap the performance of vitality than Ellington introducing every number.

Agreed. In this case, the LPs are CLEARLY superior to the CDs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crisp said:

Kevin's point is that since Mosaic owns the Benedetti recordings the set should be available in perpetuity. To me its imminent deletion is the clearest sign yet that Mosaic is winding down.

Was coming here to say this EXACT thing. I just got the email and that is the first thing listed. 

The fire sale has begun. Only at full price for right now. 

2 hours ago, crisp said:

Kevin's point is that since Mosaic owns the Benedetti recordings the set should be available in perpetuity. To me its imminent deletion is the clearest sign yet that Mosaic is winding down.

Yep. I thought exactly the same thing. I'm wondering seriously whether we'll see that promised Teddy Wilson set.

gregmo

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Yep. I thought exactly the same thing. I'm wondering seriously whether we'll see that promised Teddy Wilson set.

gregmo

Chick Webb: Rare Footage

There are only a couple of film clips showing footage of the great Chick Webb; we just have to listen to him - much of it on our Mosaic Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald boxed set. Here, however, is a short clip with some Louis Bellson commentary. High praise from the great Bellson and a nice segue into a very rare Benny Goodman Trio performance of China Boy from 1955 with yet another Chick Webb fanatic - Gene Krupa - along with the other original member of the Benny Goodman Trio, Teddy Wilson. Stay tuned for more Teddy Wilson on Mosaic!! -Scott Wenzel

The above from a Mosaic email received today highlighting the two sets moving to 'last chance'. However, note the last sentence, sounds positive.

4 hours ago, crisp said:

If production of the Teddy Wilson set is far enough down the line it may make financial sense to see it through. I'm optimistic enough to believe that we could see a few more new sets beyond that one for the same reason. 

Hope really does spring eternal!

gregmo

The Woody Herman select made a come back on last chance.

The George Wein Single is now on last chance.

The Louis Armstrong Newport LP set now also immediatelly on last chance.

On the bright side the Goodman set is back in the catalogue

Edited by miles65
addition