Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

46 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thanks Hans.  Although I haven't done an exhaustive comparison, it seems that the Mosaic has a bit more albums. 

Don't forget that the Mosaic 4LP-set only has the tracks that were recorded within the 1953-1954 time frame, while the (OOP) Hip-O 3CD-set has all the tracks from 1952-1955.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

And include one wrong track, which Mosaic corrected IIRC.

Yes, a live version instead of the original studio recording, if memory serves.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thanks to you both.  I will probably opt for the Hip-O one, which I never purchased.

Whatever you choose, the music is great. Getz in his prime in my opinion.

Edited by J.A.W.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Hip-0 offered an mp3 download for the erroneous track. Why not a corrected disc?

9 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Hip-0 offered an mp3 download for the erroneous track. Why not a corrected disc?

Is it still up? Anyway to access it? 

26 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

I guess too much hassle and unprofitable. I already had the right track on another CD.

It would have cost about $.35 a disc plus postage to correct an error in a premium, expensive, limited edition product. Then I wouldn't consider them dickheads.

I bet no more than a hundred customers caught (or cared about) the mistake.

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

It would have cost about $.35 a disc plus postage to correct an error in a premium, expensive, limited edition product. Then I wouldn't consider them dickheads.

I bet no more than a hundred customers caught (or cared about) the mistake.

Reminds me of what Savoy did with Bird's Complete Savoy Dial sessions.  I think the speed was off on Indiana and Savoy sent out a new disc.

On 4/16/2018 at 7:58 AM, Brad said:

Reminds me of what Savoy did with Bird's Complete Savoy Dial sessions.  I think the speed was off on Indiana and Savoy sent out a new disc.

I received a replacement disc from Savoy maybe two years ago after buying a used set on Amazon.  I was impressed by the fact that they sent the replacement so many years after the set came out.

• 3 weeks later...

The Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald, Eddie Condon/Bud Freeman, Duke Ellington big band and James P. Johnson sets are now last chance. Benny Goodman is now running low.

Funny the Condon/Freeman and James P. Johnson sets are also on the recent releases page.

Welcome to the new Mosaic. 

49 minutes ago, miles65 said:

Funny the Condon/Freeman and James P. Johnson sets are also on the recent releases page.

Welcome to the new Mosaic.  Looks like they are (finally) paying attention to demand and assessing the need for re-pressing sets and how many to re-press.

I ordered the Johnson Mosaic set last night. However, I just received an email that I assume they sent out to more than one person that they  oversold the set and so I (and presumably others) won’t be receiving one.  

Such is life. You snooze, you lose. 

Here’s the email:

Dear Friend of Mosaic

Thank you for your recent purchase of the James P. Johnson set. However, because of the “Last Chance” email that you received the other day we found ourselves overwhelmed with orders and, unfortunately, have oversold what we had left in stock. Therefore we cannot offer you a set of the James P. Johnson. 

We have not charged your credit card for your purchase and if you paid with PayPal you will see a refund in your account. If you had other items on your order they will be shipped out to you in the next day or two (except for the Savory Collection which is due at the end of the month and the Bee Hive set which is due in late June).

We apologize for this oversight. 

Michael Cuscuna

Scott Wenzel

Mosaic Records

203-327-7111

www.mosaicrecords.com

Glad I ordered my JPJ set the last time it went running low - although I got mine from Jazzmessengers. It is a very good and enjoyable set, of course - but what do I have to tell you ..... 

As of now, jazzmessengers still has the JPJ in stock, but they no longer list the Webb/Fitzgerald.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Soooo...is there a reason why they can't solicit pre-orders to see if a final pressing is tenable, like they did with the Bee Hive set?

Or are they just like, wow, who knew, sorry folks?

They did. JPJ went on last chance but got a repressing because of the responce. I’m glad I got it.