Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

I’d forgotten that the sale was about to end and that that set was on ‘special’ (at least in the US - by the time it gets over here with all the tax and shipping it’s not so special). Kicking myself for holding off but at least I now have the set (hopefully) at about the same total cost.

I guess there can’t have been too many left as this was a ‘last call’ limited run after the set had gone AWOL.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend the Ruby Braff. I know Larry Kart doesn't like it and Mosaic is honest enough to post his review of it, but except for the last cut (which wasn't on the original release) I don't think  it is the desultory affair Larry suggests it is.   There are the expected  great solos and ensemble improvisations  by Pee Wee Russell and some  impressive work by Dick Hafer (whom I'd never heard of)  on tenor.   Get it before it's gone. 

42 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I recommend the Ruby Braff. I know Larry Kart doesn't like it and Mosaic is honest enough to post his review of it, but except for the last cut (which wasn't on the original release) I don't think  it is the desultory affair Larry suggests it is.   There are the expected  great solos and ensemble improvisations  by Pee Wee Russell and some  impressive work by Dick Hafer (whom I'd never heard of)  on tenor.   Get it before it's gone. 

Dick Hafer is on the Impulse! albums by Mingus - and makes good use of his spots to shine!

Agreed on the Braff - nice one.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dick Hafer is one of those guys...hard to find the dots to connect record-wise, but always a reward when one is found. Kinda like a cult Carmen Leggio that way.

Wasn't Carmen Leggio a cult Carmen Leggio?  Incidentally, I need to pull out that nice twofer of his on Progressive.  He was a fine player.

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dick Hafer is one of those guys...hard to find the dots to connect record-wise, but always a reward when one is found. Kinda like a cult Carmen Leggio that way.

Wasn't Leggio more obscure, at least in the 50s/60s?

Shouldn't Dick Hafer be a (fairly) household name from his presence in the 50s Woody Herman Herds? And then on "The Herdsmen Play Paris" (Fantasy) and with the Nat Pierce-Dick Collins Nonet (also on Fantasy).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

nah. maybe at the time, but when my radar got fired up, I only knew Leggio from Woody and Hafer from Mingus (and Leggio got more spotlight with Woody than Hafer did with Mingus, to be sure). This was like, the very early 1970s. As time went on, Leggio came into focus JUST a bit more (and did a record or two for Progressive that got some exposure in reviews and such), and Hafer hardly at all. And you know, I'm the kind of guy who keeps his eyes open about records and such. was anyway.

question - did  Dick Hafer ever do a Cadence interview? I know Leggio did, I read that one.

• 1 month later...