Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it's now or never for me and that MJQ box.  If it were half it's size (4 discs), I'm sure I would have bough it by now.  I keep asking myself, do I really need -- what is it? -- something like 14 albums of MJQ?

I suppose I do, but will I really listen to them all THAT much?  I only have Pyramid (on LP), and have been meaning to pick up a copy of Lonely Woman for years (but I just never get around to it).

Maybe I'll mull this over some more this weekend, and sample some stuff from YouTube (surely a ton is uploaded there).

31 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I guess it's now or never for me and that MJQ box.  If it were half it's size (4 discs), I'm sure I would have bough it by now.  I keep asking myself, do I really need -- what is it? -- something like 14 albums of MJQ?

I suppose I do, but will I really listen to them all THAT much?  I only have Pyramid (on LP), and have been meaning to pick up a copy of Lonely Woman for years (but I just never get around to it).

Maybe I'll mull this over some more this weekend, and sample some stuff from YouTube (surely a ton is uploaded there).

this could be a cheaper alternative. Works for me

https://www.discogs.com/The-Modern-Jazz-Quartet-Original-Album-Series/release/4186653

29 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’m asking myself the same question about the Jamal set. I have a few, not many of his CDs, and I feel that’s enough. I just don’t need 9 more CDs. Moreover, as I noted earlier, you can’t buy everything. 

• 2 weeks later...
Last Chance!

The Complete Dial Modern Jazz Sessions
Final Pressing
MUST ORDER BY OCTOBER 2 (1 week)

We've always been diligent about warning you when sets were running low so you wouldn't miss out on titles that you wanted. We want to keep every set active as long as possible. We will be ordering a FINAL repressing of The Complete Dial Modern Jazz Sessions and will be taking advance orders.
We are currently out of stock. If you've been considering this collection and not yet obtained it, now would be the time to step up in order to secure one.

Your credit card will not be charged until we repress the set and ship it to you (however paypal is immediately deducted from your funds).

Thank you for your support,
Michael and Scott

I would order this set as it has great music but not with all those alternate takes. I'd buy a "master takes" edition. :)

I would have been tempted to place an order before this box disappears. But this week I picked up a 'like new' copy of the original 10 CD Japanese Toshiba box on which the Mosaic is based - for £15 inc shipping! The Mosaic supposedly has superior sound but for what I paid I'll stick with my   bargain - especially given the number of alternate takes.

If you have all the music on LPs and don’t wish to buy the Mosaic that makes sense. 

However, if a person doesn’t have the music, I don’t understand— and have understood— the attitude that they won’t buy the music if it doesn’t have pristine sound. Is it better to have the music without pristine sound or not have the music at all? I think the former. 

I've got the Bird stuff out the ass. the other stuff, some, but not so much. And what I do have is on marginal labels that did not even try cleaning anything up. So I'm willing to see how the mastering works in order to hear the music, because if it's not perfect now, it's never been perfect.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've got the Bird stuff out the ass. the other stuff, some, but not so much. And what I do have is on marginal labels that did not even try cleaning anything up. So I'm willing to see how the mastering works in order to hear the music, because if it's not perfect now, it's never been perfect.

That's completely true about it never having been perfect.  If it wasn't perfect then, it won't be perfect now. You have to take how it is, warts and all. 

Example - I've got some of the non-Bird Dial stuff on some scrub label, Hall Of Fame, I think it is. LP. It could be worse than that, but I don't think it will be. It might be a different type of off, but it's on CD now, and all that.

yeah, this thing. It'll do if it has to, but surely it doesn't have to.

VARIOUS-JAZZ_SOMETHIN%2BSPECIAL-461971.j

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Allen Lowe's remarks on the sound make me hesitate, and the fact that I have all the Spotlite LPs, some of which contain tracks not recorded for Dial and thus not in the box set. I think I'll pass and stick with my LPs.

Same here. The Spotlite series isn't bad at all, neither is the Storyville reissue of the Dexter Gordon Dials, etc. I know I am likely to it regret it for some of the alternates or the occasional session that fell through the gaps of other reissues but you can't have it al, unfortunately.

On 15.9.2018 at 4:18 AM, mjzee said:

I don't regret buying the MJQ box.  Perhaps not the most exciting approach to jazz, but there's a lot of substance to their playing.  The Jamal on the other hand... I kinda think this suffices:

R-5199573-1387235761-3199.jpeg.jpg

It all depends how much you like Jamal and this unique trio's playing concept. 

In any case, you'd need this CD to complement the above:

R-2544240-1302936619.jpeg.jpg

No track duplications, and this IMO contains the superior selection. When they compiled Cross Country Tour they simply continued where Ahmad's Blues left off. 

I'm looking forward to my copy of the Mosaic box set.

Edited by mikeweil

I also think Extensions should be in the mix. that's the first one that shows the more "open" approach that Jamal would take towards the type of structures he worked with.

Tell you what, though - if I was forced to have just one Jamal cut in addition to "Poinciana" it would be this:

Taking an already interesting Bacharach tune and making it even more interesting...huge love here for that!

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It all depends how much you like Jamal and this unique trio's playing concept. 

In any case, you'd need this CD to complement the above:

R-2544240-1302936619.jpeg.jpg

No track duplications, and this IMO contains the superior selection. When they compiled Cross Country Tour they simply continued where Ahmad's Blues left off. 

I'm looking forward to my copy of the Mosaic box set.

"Ahmad's Blues" (though I've passed it on by now, same for "Cross Country Tour") is definitely still one of the most played discs of ny life! Glad to have the Mosaic, but for many years that disc gave me the Jamal fix whenever I needed it ... tremendous stuff!