Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Same.  I'll buy old vinyl when that's either my only, or best (way cheaper) option.  But given the option, I'll always go for something on CD, even if I have to pay a premium.

Doesn't mean I've never held an LP in my hands with a killer-cool gatefold cover, and though "mmm, this would be really nice to have".  But then 99.99% of the time I'll put it back, long as I've confirmed that it's not too hard to get on CD (and won't set me back 3 days salary).

Ditto. I did recently buy a used copy of Johnny Hodges "Don't Sleep in the Subway" because it's not on cd and it was the only Hodges Verve I didn't have. That's about the *only* reason I'd buy vinyl. (And my guess is that the Andorrans will probably reissue that one and "Rippin' and Runnin' as soon as both clear European copyright.)

gregmo

23 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Ditto. I did recently buy a used copy of Johnny Hodges "Don't Sleep in the Subway" because it's not on cd and it was the only Hodges Verve I didn't have. That's about the *only* reason I'd buy vinyl. (And my guess is that the Andorrans will probably reissue that one and "Rippin' and Runnin' as soon as both clear European copyright.)

gregmo

I thought European copyright had changed to be more restrictive. 

31 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

gregmo

FWIW, though, I rarely (almost never) buy the Andorran stuff on CD, unless occasionally I'll find some live thing that's more a bootleg of something never released legit.  But I really dislike the Euro barely-legal "pseudo"-public-domain stuff.  Never say never, but I generally avoid that stuff like the plague.  And I have bought a tiny number of things on vinyl, when they were "available" on CD through Freshsound, and the like.  Maybe 4 LP's, but still, much as I prefer CD -- I really hate the Andorran crap.

To quote a post on another board about some Beach Boys releases:

The copyright term for sound recordings in the EU was extended a few years back to 70 years *from the date of publication* (public release, e.g. on LP/CD, essentially).

But if a recording has never been "published", the copyright term is still 50 years from the date the recording was made.

The distinction is intended to force record labels and rightsholders sitting on unreleased material to "use it or lose it."

So studio outtakes, etc, from 1968 will fall into the public domain unless they are published by the end of this year.

If they are published, then they are entitled to the 70-year copyright term from the date of that publication. So, by releasing sets like these, the label's copyright is effectively extended.

Edited by J.A.W.

21 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

To quote a post on another board about some Beach Boys releases:

The copyright term for sound recordings in the EU was extended a few years back to 70 years *from the date of publication* (public release, e.g. on LP/CD, essentially).

But if a recording has never been "published", the copyright term is still 50 years from the date the recording was made.

The distinction is intended to force record labels and rightsholders sitting on unreleased material to "use it or lose it."

So studio outtakes, etc, from 1968 will fall into the public domain unless they are published by the end of this year.

If they are published, then they are entitled to the 70-year copyright term from the date of that publication. So, by releasing sets like these, the label's copyright is effectively extended.

Record labels and rightsholders means what exactly on a bootlegged live recording? If it's an unauthorized recording, there is no record label and the rightsholder is the artist (if alive, estate if not), who likely doesn't even have the recording and seems to have no say in whether or not it should be released.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:50 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

FWIW, though, I rarely (almost never) buy the Andorran stuff on CD, unless occasionally I'll find some live thing that's more a bootleg of something never released legit.  But I really dislike the Euro barely-legal "pseudo"-public-domain stuff.  Never say never, but I generally avoid that stuff like the plague.  And I have bought a tiny number of things on vinyl, when they were "available" on CD through Freshsound, and the like.  Maybe 4 LP's, but still, much as I prefer CD -- I really hate the Andorran crap.

Ah, one of our oldest discussions on the Board! I bought the Hodges stuff (which sounds pretty good, frankly) because Mosaic will never do a set. Why? Because the Andorrans have already reissued it. So, if you want the Hodges 60s Verves, you can either search for the old LPs or buy the Lonehill reissues. Verve will certainly never reissue it. To quote a line from the movie "Lion in Winter," we'd see the Second Coming first.

gregmo

13 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Ah, one of our oldest discussions on the Board! I bought the Hodges stuff (which sounds pretty good, frankly) because Mosaic will never do a set. Why? Because the Andorrans have already reissued it. So, if you want the Hodges 60s Verves, you can either search for the old LPs or buy the Lonehill reissues. Verve will certainly never reissue it. To quote a line from the movie "Lion in Winter," we'd see the Second Coming first.

gregmo

I'm certainly NOT suggesting anyone/everyone has to adopt the same practice I have.  And I'll be the first to admit that if I found something I wanted bad enough, I wouldn't think twice before buying an Andorran product, or similar.  Went out of my way to buy this Sun Ra "Horo" CD reissue of questionable origin several years ago.  My apologies if I came off as a bit more "holier than thou".

I could have more artfully said that I'm semi-glad to pay double (or maybe even up to triple) for a legit CD issue of a title, rather than a cheaper Andorran option -- meaning my preference for legit product is worth it (enough) for me to pay more for the real thing (on CD).  But when it comes to stuff that's NEVER been on CD, and if the only other options on LP are 5x as expensive (or worse), I'm sure I'd come to the same conclusion/decision as you (like with the Hodges on Verve).

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

gregmo

Mosaic didn't do a 1951-1955 Hodges CD-set because Verve would only license it for LP, not CD, and not because the Spanish Blue Moon label had released the material. Mosaic did release a 1956-1961 Hodges CD-set, of course (long OOP). Like Fresh Sound Blue Moon is based in Barcelona, Spain.

Re-reading your post I noticed that you are talking about 1960s Hodges on Verve. As far as I know Mosaic did indeed not consider that era.

Edited by J.A.W.

20 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Mosaic didn't do a 1951-1955 Hodges CD-set because Verve would only license it for LP, not CD, and not because the Spanish Blue Moon label had released the material. Mosaic did release a 1956-1961 Hodges CD-set, of course (long OOP). Like Fresh Sound Blue Moon is based in Barcelona, Spain.

Re-reading your post I noticed that you are talking about 1960s Hodges on Verve. As far as I know Mosaic did indeed not consider that era.

They didn't, Hans, despite my begging them to do it in several nagging emails!! And I agree with Rooster--I'd take a legit release anytime over the Andorran stuff.

gregmo

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I know they've contemplated doing a Ben Webster Verve Mosaic box in the past--not sure if it would have happened anyway, but Sony's new policy has definitely scotched any possibility of such a set moving forward.  

Is Verve at Sony? I thought it was at Universal.   I can't keep up with who owns what anymore. 

10 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Is Verve at Sony? I thought it was at Universal.   I can't keep up with who owns what anymore. 

Verve is Universal.  Sony has RCA and some other, smaller labels along with the original Columbia/Epic catalog.  

53 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

My bad--I forgot that Sony and Universal have NOT merged.  (I can't keep track anymore either, Joe!) So that would mean that a hypothetical Webster Verve set is still possible.

He would certainly deserve a set. Don Byas would also desreve one but his recordings are spread over too many labels to be possible.

19 hours ago, miles65 said:

He would certainly deserve a set. Don Byas would also desreve one but his recordings are spread over too many labels to be possible.

Even the Andorrans have had a hard time getting Byas right.  But that would be a GREAT set if it could be done.

• 2 months later...