• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:24 AM, T.D. said:

+1

I have it, got it at a really good price, but I wish it was smaller, as I don't see myself ever playing half of it again.  But things like the Dizzy Reece and Ronnie Mathews are pretty great.

Sets like these are basically encyclopedias. You don't buy a set of encyclopedia to read every item (unless you decide to recover from a near-death experience or something like that), but when you want to look something up, hey, there it is. And you don't have to warm up the modem to get to it.

2 hours ago, felser said:

I have it, got it at a really good price, but I wish it was smaller, as I don't see myself ever playing half of it again.  But things like the Dizzy Reece and Ronnie Mathews are pretty great.

I was only "especially interested" in about 1/3rd of the Bee Hive box (on paper), but once I got it -- almost fully another 1/3rd is nearly as good as the 1/3rd I really wanted most.

But your point is taken -- as there's a good (last) 1/3rd of it I'll probably hardly ever listen to.

22 hours ago, felser said:

I came close to getting it at a good price once, but missed. I'm sure I'd like a good chunk of it, but at full Mosaic price and with the cumbersome large box format, I can't make such a big investment if a significant portion will be rarely played.

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

Sets like these are basically encyclopedias. You don't buy a set of encyclopedia to read every item (unless you decide to recover from a near-death experience or something like that), but when you want to look something up, hey, there it is. And you don't have to warm up the modem to get to it.

I think you can basically say that about most Mosaic boxes. 

On 7/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, JSngry said:

True.  Where possible, I have sold off those sets and bought individual CD's once they were available (still waiting for one Stanley Turrentine title, one Elvin Jones title and a few Lou Donaldson titles to free up those boxes).  But I owned a LOT of Mosaic sets 25 years ago, and was so thankful that the material was made available.  I never would have dreamed I would someday easily own something like the complete works of Tina Brooks.  Figured I would go to the grave without ever hearing things like his 'True Blue' and McLean's 'A Fickle Sonance'.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, gmonahan said:

Take the jewel cases out of the box and put them on the shelf with others, store the box, put the books on a separate shelf. To me, Mosaics are meant to be listened to, not stored away like jewels in a safety deposit box.

Yup, my box-boxes are all in a milk-crate (save for a couple that won't fit), and all the jewel boxes are integrated in with the rest of my collection in their various areas -- all the Blue Note stuff alpha by artist on one shelf, and everything else (non-BN) on another shelf, alpha by artist.

I don't dig out the big booklets all that much, so they're all in the big boxes -- but they're not hard to access when I need to.

My 15+ Selects are all filed similarly, in with the rest of the collection, and actively listened to.

My only "safety" copy is a still-sealed duplicate of the Andrew Hill Select, which I felt was a reasonable precaution when I saw it was going OOP (a set I *definitely* didn't want to be without, in case one or more of my regular discs got scratched, or somehow went sideways).

1 hour ago, miles65 said:

The Bing Crosby set and the Ruby Braff single are now last chance. The Louis Armstrong Decca 1935-1946 set is running low

The  Bing Crosby was in an edition of 20,000!  If they printed that many, it's definitely  their biggest seller.   I think the Armstrongs are indispensable and though Larry Kart would disagree with me I really like the Braff which I think of as a Pee Wee record. 

26 minutes ago, medjuck said:

The  Bing Crosby was in an edition of 20,000!  If they printed that many, it's definitely  their biggest seller.   I think the Armstrongs are indispensable and though Larry Kart would disagree with me I really like the Braff which I think of as a Pee Wee record. 

I love Ruby and Pee Wee in general but don't think "Hi-Fi Salute to Bunny" gets off the ground. The great Ruby mid-sized ensemble record from that time is "Braff!!" (Epic), the portion of that album with Coleman Hawkins, Lawrence Brown, Ernie Caceres et al. Indeed that whole album is solid gold, including the cover photo of Ruby with his mother.

51lyXMVrtKL._AC_UL436_.jpg

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Anyone out there have the Bing and able to comment on it?

It's one of my favourites, but then I like Bing more and more as time passes. It's not earth-shattering, but instead a chance to hear him in great voice performing top-notch material with a pleasant jazz-leaning small group, in great sound. A long way from John Scott Trotter and McNamara's Band.

3 hours ago, crisp said:

It's one of my favourites, but then I like Bing more and more as time passes. It's not earth-shattering, but instead a chance to hear him in great voice performing top-notch material with a pleasant jazz-leaning small group, in great sound. A long way from John Scott Trotter and McNamara's Band.

Thanks Crisp - I’m tempted !

On 7/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, sidewinder said:

Anyone out there have the Bing and able to comment on it?

I don’t know ... 

I really like some of Bing’s music from this period (e.g., Bing with a Beat), but I have had a really difficult time getting past the arrangements on this set.  At least most of the songs are top-notch.

This is just my humble opinion, of course.

6 hours ago, Edward said:

I don’t know ... 

I really like some of Bing’s music from this period (e.g., Bing with a Beat), but I have had a really difficult time getting past the arrangements on this set.  At least most of the songs are top-notch.

This is just my humble opinion, of course.

Thanks for that. Now somewhat on the fence !

Edited by sidewinder

21 hours ago, crisp said:

This is my experience exactly.  Shortly after I purchased this set a couple of horrendous events had dampened my enthusiasm for nearly everything-music included-but I found that this set helped "bring me back."

19 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks for that. Now somewhat on the fence !

I probably don’t need to tell you that if you’re on the fence about purchasing a particular Mosaic set, you should go ahead and buy it.  The CD sets that have recently gone out of print all seem to have held their value pretty well.

(I’ll give the set another shot over the weekend.)