Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dave James said:

In round numbers, how much Jimmy Rushing is on the Goodman/Young set?  Call me irresponsible, but for me, a little of him goes a long way (as if the words "little" and "Jimmy Rushing" can peacefully co-exist).  

if you meant the Basie/Young set, it's 25 titles (some alts there)

I never really felt the urge to get me a copy as I have all of it on single CD reissues, except for the Dicky Wells session and the newly found alternates. No this catches me at a very bad moment, financially. Looks like I have to pass. Maybe some good soul will make me a CDR with the few tracks I don't have ...

19 hours ago, Dave James said:

In round numbers, how much Jimmy Rushing is on the Goodman/Young set?  Call me irresponsible, but for me, a little of him goes a long way (as if the words "little" and "Jimmy Rushing" can peacefully co-exist).  

Interesting. Rushing is one of my favorite singers. I've seldom heard one who could sing with such unparalleled joy! But, to each his own!

gregmo

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Interesting. Rushing is one of my favorite singers. I've seldom heard one who could sing with such unparalleled joy! But, to each his own!

gregmo

Not to be disrespectful...I know how valuable Rushing was to Basie and you can't argue with the enthusiasm he brought tp the table...but I've always thought he was set on the 12-bar blues rinse / repeat cycle.     

Boy, do I have the Jimmy Russian album for you!

these videos are from the same album but show the wrong cover:

If your response is along the lines of "well, yeah, but it still SOUNDS like everything is a blues", then my response will be along the lies of HELL YEAH, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! :g

The Rushing Lullabies CD comes with this LP attached as well, a worthy addition, even if my preference would have been to have it second instead of first. Still, killer.

R-2326232-1461540550-9019.jpeg.jpg

23 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Also, this is very much the southwest blues -- so linear.

If by :southwest blues" you mean an overall all-encompassing regional behavioral dialect for negotiating the rhythms of life, then yes, that it is!

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The Rushing Lullabies CD comes with this LP attached as well, a worthy addition, even if my preference would have been to have it second instead of first. Still, killer.

R-2326232-1461540550-9019.jpeg.jpg

If by :southwest blues" you mean an overall all-encompassing regional behavioral dialect to negotiate the rhythms of life, then yes, that it is!

Yes, that's what I mean. Singing (as with Rushing) and playing (as with Buddy Tate) into the next bar and beyond might be another way to put it.

37 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

"The Jazz Odyssey of James Rushing Esquire" (Columbia) is another good one. Wonder  who was the "rabbi" behind those several Rushing Columbia LPs. John Hammond? Irving Townsend? Don't think they could have been big sellers.

I like all those Columbia records. I'd put my money on Hammond.

Just to clarify, I was talking about Rushing's vocal work with Basie.  I'm not familiar with these other recordings. although at first blush, it appears that there may be more to him than meets the eye.....and when you're talking about Mr. 5x5, that's saying something.

The Basie/ Young box looks great. I have been restraining from online orders lately though so that postal services can concentrate on the essential deliveries (pharmaceutical products, food, etc.) and work in acceptable conditions. If I buy the set, I might ask Mosaic to put it aside for me.

10 hours ago, OliverM said:

The Basie/ Young box looks great. I have been restraining from online orders lately though so that postal services can concentrate on the essential deliveries (pharmaceutical products, food, etc.) and work in acceptable conditions. If I buy the set, I might ask Mosaic to put it aside for me.

As you are living in France, ordering from JazzMessengers might be the better option:

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/72209/count-basie/classic-1936-1947-basie-and-young-studio-sessions

21 hours ago, OliverM said:

Well done, I did the same for my discogs items.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...