Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

Maybe I wasn't the last to pick one up - I did check the 'Last Chance' list after I'd got my order processed and email received and both were still showing at that stage. I'm not sure if those things show status immediately or if there is a bit of a lag?

Editted to say - still seems to be available in the alternative jazz universe at jazzmessengers.com !

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/10128/sarah-vaughan/the-complete-roulette-studio-sessions

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I wasn't the last to pick one up - I did check the 'Last Chance' list after I'd got my order processed and email received and both were still showing at that stage. I'm not sure if those things show status immediately or if there is a bit of a lag?

Editted to say - still seems to be available in the alternative jazz universe at jazzmessengers.com !

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/10128/sarah-vaughan/the-complete-roulette-studio-sessions

Now, I may forgive you after all. Thanks!

Excellent ! :tup

Can't keep up with this. Django seems to have gone now from 'Last Chance' as well. They weren't kidding when they said that stock was very low. :o

Crazy indeed.

After I successfully placed my order with Jazz Messengers, it is listed as "out of stock"; last copy for me as well? Or, no copy at all...

Edited by Alexandros

It's weird, yeah as of this posting there doesn't seem to be any trace of the Django set on the Mosaic site. I wanted to check because i could've sworn it was listed as backordered until the second half of 2014 along with a whole bunch of other sets i was looking at getting recently... wondered how that would factor in to the whole 'last chance' thing... i could be mistaken though and it might have still been available, could've sworn though...

It's weird, yeah as of this posting there doesn't seem to be any trace of the Django set on the Mosaic site. I wanted to check because i could've sworn it was listed as backordered until the second half of 2014 along with a whole bunch of other sets i was looking at getting recently... wondered how that would factor in to the whole 'last chance' thing... i could be mistaken though and it might have still been available, could've sworn though...

You seem to have missed this e-mail from Mosaic:

While we try to always give our customers a reasonable lead time when a set is going out of print, sometimes circumstances beyond our control force us to delete sets on short notice. During the recent sale of EMI Music, pieces of the company were sold to Warner Bros. rather than Universal Music. As a result, we lost the rights to manufacture more of our Sarah Vaughan (Roulette) and Django Reinhardt (EMI France) sets. The supplies we have on both sets are very low and will only be available for a short time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Edited by Stompy Jones

You seem to have missed this e-mail from Mosaic:

While we try to always give our customers a reasonable lead time when a set is going out of print, sometimes circumstances beyond our control force us to delete sets on short notice. During the recent sale of EMI Music, pieces of the company were sold to Warner Bros. rather than Universal Music. As a result, we lost the rights to manufacture more of our Sarah Vaughan (Roulette) and Django Reinhardt (EMI France) sets. The supplies we have on both sets are very low and will only be available for a short time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Yeah i got that email but things don't always line up... i guess the most simple explanation (whether it was or wasn't showing as being backordered on their website they still had a very small amount in stock and now they're gone) is the most likely.

Sarah Vaughan and Django Reinhardt sets now on Last Chance

During the recent sale of EMI Music, pieces of the company were sold to Warner Bros. rather than Universal Music. As a result, we lost the rights to manufacture more of our Sarah Vaughan (Roulette) and Django Reinhardt (EMI France) sets. The supplies we have on both sets are very low and will only be available for a short time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

So does this mean Warner Bros. now owns Roulette and EMI France masters?

Hm, thought Universal took over the jazz parts of EMI? It's not that simple then, it seems ... never is. The Django isn't really essential in light of the other options there are to get his recordings, the Vaughan runs the gamut from rather horrible commercial stuff to - indeed! - divine singing and great music.

The Sarah set makes a perfect complement to the Mercury boxes put out back in the late 80s/early 90s. But Ubu is right--it definitely combines the great and the not so great.

gregmo

I ended up getting most of the box via the individual CD releases over the years - happy with that

Sarah Vaughan and Django Reinhardt sets now on Last Chance

During the recent sale of EMI Music, pieces of the company were sold to Warner Bros. rather than Universal Music. As a result, we lost the rights to manufacture more of our Sarah Vaughan (Roulette) and Django Reinhardt (EMI France) sets. The supplies we have on both sets are very low and will only be available for a short time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

So does this mean Warner Bros. now owns Roulette and EMI France masters?

So what popped up today on eMusic? 4 Roulette titles, for which eMusic lists as the label Parlophone UK. Curiouser and curiouser. The titles:

Count Basie - Chairman of the Board

The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington (I guess this is the Mosaic)

Dinah Washington - Dinah '62

Johnny Smith - Walk Don't Run

The Django isn't really essential in light of the other options there are to get his recordings, the Vaughan runs the gamut from rather horrible commercial stuff to - indeed! - divine singing and great music.

Sounds good to me re: the Sarah Vaughan. The Django I've had on the back-burner for years and years and also heard most of, glad to have finally picked up a copy at long last.

Edited by sidewinder

I went with the Fremeaux boxes eventually ... the Mosaic just wasn't enought for me, but I hold on to it, of course! Also to his whole run of Jazz in Paris discs ... there'd be a very nice small Vogue box, too - but reason kicks in, eventually, even with me :)

The Vaughan has some really good stuff! The less than great (some of those singles session, the classical stuff) is in a minority, but it's there. On the other hand you get great things such as "Sarah Sings Soulfully" (of which I'd not even heard prior to receiving the Mosaic - too band Carmell Jones and Teddy Edwards don't get to blow) and well-known ones like the Basie and Benny Carter collaborations and of course the magnificient trio albums (Sarah + 2, After Hours).

Excellent ! :tup

Can't keep up with this. Django seems to have gone now from 'Last Chance' as well. They weren't kidding when they said that stock was very low. :o

Crazy indeed.

After I successfully placed my order with Jazz Messengers, it is listed as "out of stock"; last copy for me as well? Or, no copy at all...

So, the always great Jazz Messengers sent me the shipping notification of the Sarah Vaughan set: the last copy goes to Greece!

I went with the Fremeaux boxes eventually ... the Mosaic just wasn't enought for me, but I hold on to it, of course! Also to his whole run of Jazz in Paris discs ... there'd be a very nice small Vogue box, too - but reason kicks in, eventually, even with me :)

The Vaughan has some really good stuff! The less than great (some of those singles session, the classical stuff) is in a minority, but it's there. On the other hand you get great things such as "Sarah Sings Soulfully" (of which I'd not even heard prior to receiving the Mosaic - too band Carmell Jones and Teddy Edwards don't get to blow) and well-known ones like the Basie and Benny Carter collaborations and of course the magnificient trio albums (Sarah + 2, After Hours).

I'm a sucker for all of those Roulette sets that Mosaic have put out - not a dud between them and some stupendous stuff (especially the two Basies and the Maynard behemoth). Too bad I missed the Dinah Washington when it disappeared in the 2010 mega-blitz but sounds like I can catch up with it via the internet. Mosaic did the Roulette catalogue proud !

Nice one, Alexandros. Sounds like everyone is happy. :)

Edited by sidewinder

So what popped up today on eMusic? 4 Roulette titles, for which eMusic lists as the label Parlophone UK. Curiouser and curiouser.

That confirms what I suspected: that the Roulette/Roost labels were part of the Parlophone deal that went to Warner when EMI was broken up (they also got Chrysalis and Virgin).

I imagine that since Warner also got EMI Classics the deal included all the UK-based labels (although Roulette/Roost were US Mosaic eventually found the masters in London) with the US-based material going to UMG.

Now will Warner reissue their Roulette Mosaics as they did the Reprise Ellington? Probably not.

So what popped up today on eMusic? 4 Roulette titles, for which eMusic lists as the label Parlophone UK. Curiouser and curiouser.

That confirms what I suspected: that the Roulette/Roost labels were part of the Parlophone deal that went to Warner when EMI was broken up (they also got Chrysalis and Virgin).

I imagine that since Warner also got EMI Classics the deal included all the UK-based labels (although Roulette/Roost were US Mosaic eventually found the masters in London) with the US-based material going to UMG.

Now will Warner reissue their Roulette Mosaics as they did the Reprise Ellington? Probably not.

Do you mean on CD? Let's hope. (There is the Dinah Mosaic now on mp3.) One of the things I find interesting is the speed with which Universal has restarted the Blue Note reissue program (CDs in Japan, LPs in America). I think BN was very high on Universal's wish list. In terms of box sets, I hope Universal can release some cross Prestige/BN projects on particular artists.

Let's see how fast Warner releases the Roulette titles; it's very possible that the eMusic listings show Parlophone as a revived imprint of Warner, much like Decca has been used by Universal.