Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last week, along with the Woody Shaw Muse and my 'safety' of the Hill BN Select, as luck would have it - I also ordered both the Chambers and Tyner (both now running low), along with the Toshiko Akiyoshi.

That's why everythings running low.......

Last week, along with the Woody Shaw Muse and my 'safety' of the Hill BN Select, as luck would have it - I also ordered both the Chambers and Tyner (both now running low), along with the Toshiko Akiyoshi.

That's why everythings running low.......

My exact thought as well! :w

I'm surprised the Sonny Stitt has been so popular.

Not that I don't like it, but a lot of it is pretty similar stuff.

MG

Stitt (#208) is going, going, (gone), while Mobley (#181) lingers on. (To be fair, though, Mobley was a 7500 set issue, while Stitt was just 5000)

Edited by BeBop

The Stitt is samey, but if you like what he does in the first place you don't mind if it doesn't change.

Would those who have the Tyner recommend it? Normally I love his playing but I'm a bit put off by the cello, string quartets and wordless vocals. Plus late Seventies jazz can throw up some nasty surprises.

Wordless vocals? That's Keith ...

I think it's a mighty fine set - but obviously you'll need a few more of his Blue Notes that aren't included. To me, these albums show him close to his finest (which would be, I think, his earliest Milestone albums), and I guess by now they're not that easy to find, indivdually.

Andrew Hill is one closer to being gone. :)

Easily the most important Mosaic I own (since nearly all of it was previously unreleased).

Disc #3 (warts and all), is one of my all-time favorite discs ever. Woody Shaw, Sam RIvers, AND Andrew Hill -- totally going for broke on the same date??!!! -- HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

That disc #3 is one of THE most beautiful things in my entire collection.

After previewing the music I've come to the conclusion I probably underestimated the quality and diversity of it. I thought it would all be along the lines of Change and Cuscuna mentioned in the liner notes to that it was the most successful of the free dates with Sam Rivers in this period.

Anyway, the set is mastered by Malcolm Addey who did excellent work on the Andrew Hill big box and Passing Ships.

Edited by erwbol

TONS of diversity on the Hill BN Select...

• a whole album's worth of semi-groovin' tunes with Charles Tolliver!
  • a whole album's worth with Strings!
  • a whole album's worth of a mid-60's PROGRESSIVE piano trio(!) music [perhaps the rarest of all]
  • and a full hour's worth of "classic-what-Hill-does-best" -- all with Sam RIvers, and half with Woody Shaw!

What's not to love!! :wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

(good shop, even though they do sell lots of dubious stuff, too)

Same folks I believe.

Well, I don't know ... but I know I'd love to have a shop offering ten percent of the legit stuff they're selling in my town! All the bigger ones closed down by now, the one remaining has a crappy offer (i.e. fifteen Nina Simone discs, but not a single one of her classic albums ... not a single actual album at all, I think, just all kinds of silly compilations) and the usual crazy prices.