Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

A good bit of the Zeitlin is among THE most interesting 60's piano-trio recordings I've yet heard. Reminds me I've been meaning to program a single-disc of the more/most progressive and -- maybe 'agressive' isn't quite the right word (nor is 'in your face') -- but more forward-thinking tunes from the Zeitlin. Put 'em all on one disc, mostly the higher-energy stuff, and a few choice covers (Maiden Voyage).

Really top-notch stuff. Get it while you can!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered the Zeitlin first this this morning when I read it had hit last chance. I've never cut a set this close, so I'm hoping I didn't miss the cut. It's still listed as available as of right now, so I'm hopeful.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still not able to overcome the 40-ish year old memories of not being able to make it through any one side of a Zeitlin LP w/o falling asleep (not from boredom, just...I don't know). Ever. I'd be all, hey, this is nice, and then next thing you know, the tone arm has lifted and gone back home, the turntable's not spinning, I feel refreshed, and an hour or so's gone by. OOOPS!

This was from a time when I hardly ever slept. Now, I sleep whenever I can, and sometimes more often than that. Can anybody endorsing this set guarantee me that I will be able to live a productive awake life while listening to this music?

The more adventuresome 3rd of this set had way, WAY more meat on the bone than I was ever expecting (about half of which was previously unreleased) -- in part because of energetic, interesting group interplay (the members of the trio bouncing off each other).

And another third was still pretty tasty, mostly because of cool originals and/or modern standards I already liked.

And the last third was a little more "sleepy".

hmmm...still not sure...especially after reading this review on the Mosaic site:

3note.gifDeconstructing Tony Williams When I saw that photo of Denny Zeitlin on wikipedia, you know the one, the old man wearing leather pants and a colorful blouse, I knew it was he who led young Tony astray. An admitted psychotherapist, Denny Zeitlin has been discreetly operating on the fringes of the San Francisco jazz scene since heaven knows when. Surely Miles Davis, and The Beatles had an insidious influence on the young talent, but I am convinced that it was Zeitlin himself who was the driving force behind the wasted years of what could have been one of the greatest jazz drummers in all of history.

Maybe that sleep was actually psychotheraputic subliminal hypnotics embedded in the grooves of the LPs...and if so, how do I not know that Mosaic has not transferred them to these CDs?

I do not want to end up with yellow drums. That should not be my fate in life, you know what I mean?

The Zeitlin is fantastic, grab it while you can!!

Ordered - along with the Handy and a few others.

Blakey 'Hard Bop' now on Last Chance..

Obviously you got the last Handy set. Gone now!

My copy is on 'reserve' at HQ along with the Zeitlin and it will be shipped once the new Roland Kirk vinyl comes onstream. :)

hmmm...still not sure...especially after reading this review on the Mosaic site:

3note.gifDeconstructing Tony Williams When I saw that photo of Denny Zeitlin on wikipedia, you know the one, the old man wearing leather pants and a colorful blouse, I knew it was he who led young Tony astray. An admitted psychotherapist, Denny Zeitlin has been discreetly operating on the fringes of the San Francisco jazz scene since heaven knows when. Surely Miles Davis, and The Beatles had an insidious influence on the young talent, but I am convinced that it was Zeitlin himself who was the driving force behind the wasted years of what could have been one of the greatest jazz drummers in all of history.

Jeez ! Not your typical Mosaic website review.. :D

Edited by sidewinder

I got the Zeitlin an the Jazz Crusaders a month ago. Zeitlin is impressive, but emotionally a bit on the cold side. Like with Ahmad Jamal, I can appreciate Zeitlin from being a piano player myself, but I don't go to this material to get a spiritual experience. That said, I wouldn't want to be without this set.

The Jazz Crusaders set, on the other hand, is all about getting into the groove and enjoy some straightforward and honest playing.

I wish Mosaic hadn't used a bubble mailer to ship my Andrew Hill Select. :( Jazzmessengers used far better packaging when I ordered the Tyner Select last month.

Had never had that happen ... but I'm not sure if I ever ordered a Select on its own.

Anway, the Select outer boxes always were flimsy and usually too big, for whatever reason, so mine most often get crushed a bit after a while anyway.

After wanting it since its release on Mosaic, I've finally ordered Art Blakey's Hard Bop. It seems like the easiest way to obtain the material, as the material is otherwise spread out over three albums. Plus, it was previously not issued in stereo and one track only appeared previously in edited form.

You won't regret it; great album. Some of my favorite Jackie McLean.

just sent payment last night ... had them put aside some for me ... now can hardly wait for them to get here (Hackett, Zeitlin, Handy, Mercer, Boogie Woogie and Toshiko) - will have to bribe the mis-guided self-declared "liberal" politics of monopolising imports again for sure, fegh em, but hey, the dollar is still cheap so I'm not complainin' too loudly ;)