New Jimi Hendrix

Hardbopjazz

This looks good on paper, but what can be left in the vaults that has any merit and worth releasing? Anyway, I will pick this up when it comes out this year. Anyone have any more information on this?

Jimi Hendrix -- People, Hell and Angels, 3/5: He may be dead, but he's still Jimi Hendrix. Featuring 12 previously unreleased recordings, the album "follows Hendrix in 1968 and 1969 as he works on material apart from the Jimi Hendrix Experience and suggests new experimental directions," says the press release. "Hendrix toys with horns, keyboards, percussion and a second guitar." Proof you don't need to be alive to still have a recording career.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's more than plenty in the vaults worth hearing. I can't say I fact checked the following blog post but it does a decent job of pointing out where you might have heard similar versions of songs, and what appears to be truly unreleased. http://crying-blue-rain-hendrix.blogspot.com/p/people-hell-and-angels-truth.html

• 1 month later...

According to your level of interest in Jimi remnants, there's lots still left in the vaults to enjoy as Quincy points out. I have lots of boots that contain material still not put out by the family. One I'd love to see (and never will) is over ninety minutes of work on . . . "I'm a Man." Fascinating to hear successions of takes.

Looking forward to this one!

Mixed bag. Some of it is really good. The stuff with the horns and guest vocalist may be the worst stuff ever to appear on a "legitimate" Hendrix archival release (and me, I'll take the Curtis Knight and Lonnie Youngblood cuts with the bogus guitar overdubs ahead of those cuts on this new release). Not something I'll go out and buy new, but something I'll likely eventually buy used.

It could be debated about the horns and guest vocalist material, but the other stuff is unquestionably eye-opening IMO.

It's amazing to realize that there's still so much quality music that remains commercially unreleased. And it's not just marginally different alt takes of the same old tunes.

Overall I think it's a worthwhile release. I like the more stripped-down approach to both Earth Blues and Izabella, I also prefer this version of Bleeding Heart. Easy Blues and Inside Out (that leslie speaker effect is wild!) are probably my favorite tracks, always happy to hear more Hendrix instrumentals. Hey Gypsy Boy is lovely.

The version of Hear My Train is okay but that's one of those songs I think I already have sufficient enough versions of. Mojo Man is great fun and Let Me Move You is alright as well...but they don't really fit well with the rest of the material.

Had the (CD) single in the mail yesterday and played it on repeat for at least an hour ... the b-side, "Foxey Lady" from the Band of Gypsys shows, as far as I know not available before (or at least not on the official MCA/Sony/Hendrix Family releases) is terrific!

Will order the new disc soon, too, I guess ...

Had the (CD) single in the mail yesterday and played it on repeat for at least an hour ... the b-side, "Foxey Lady" from the Band of Gypsys shows, as far as I know not available before (or at least not on the official MCA/Sony/Hendrix Family releases) is terrific!

Will order the new disc soon, too, I guess ...

I should have realized this would be worth picking up as Experience Hendrix was sneaky good with their previous CD single - a format I don't tend to think to buy very often. It's good to have a rockin' palette cleanser in-between all of the classical listening. ;) (I'm doing the same thing though not quite as deeply as you are).

I really like the vinyl single with "Power of Soul" on it as well. I haven't streamed the new cd, I'm going to wait to get the cd in hand. Looking forward to it! (I ordered the Target version with two extra songs even though I have those on a Dagger release).

A friend of mine actually had a four-cd box set of live shows which had a Band Of Gypsys disc with the same cover art as the normal release but for some reason it had two or three more songs, including a bad ass version of "Foxy Lady." If that's the one on the single, it's the hardest hitting version of that song anywhere, that I've heard.

It's a different take than on that European cd of Band Of Gypsies that had extra tracks.

It's actually one that hasn't been released before, and the family now finally owns the master tapes of those Fillmore concerts; the tracks that have come out lately from that (like those on the West Coast Seattle Boy set) sound spectacular sonics wise.