New Jimi Hendrix

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who don't feel like taking the trip to Target just pick up the Dagger Records release "Burning Desire" which features an hour of the Band Of Gypsys jamming in the studio (including the Target exclusive bonus track). Well worth purchasing the full thing.

http://www.authentichendrix.com/Product.aspx?cp=103_42691&pc=JHCD022

For those who don't feel like taking the trip to Target just pick up the Dagger Records release "Burning Desire" which features an hour of the Band Of Gypsys jamming in the studio (including the Target exclusive bonus track). Well worth purchasing the full thing.

http://www.authentichendrix.com/Product.aspx?cp=103_42691&pc=JHCD022

I think I'd rather get that + the regular version of the new album.

That is a Target only exclusive version of the Hell People and Angels cd that includes a long piece formerly released (and still available) via Dagger Records.

Actually I was wrong above, it's a Walmart exclusive cd. Shawn is right, just get the Dagger cd that the bonus material comes from, it's great.

The best parts of VON are the Olympic Studios tracks from Feb 16 &17, 1969, right before they played Royal Albert Hall. Those performances are killer!

Sunshine Of Your Love

Lover Man

Fire

Red House

Two additional performances from those rehearsals were released in the "Experience" box set.

Spanish Castle Magic

Hear My Train A-Comin'

• 4 years later...

Both Sides Of The Sky

"Both Sides of the Sky" arrived in the mail today. I like it, but it's a little rough in places and probably more interesting for 'complete-ists' than casual listeners.

There IS one outstanding and unexpected cut that's almost worth the price of the album alone - a 5+ minute version of "Woodstock," and Jimi doesn't sing OR play guitar! Stephen Stills sings and plays B3 (in a sort of Lee Michaels meets Larry Young style), Jimi plays BASS (at times with Jack Bruce ferocity), and Buddy Miles pushes the trio hard on drums. The last 1:45 is a pulsating jam. It's definitely NOT Joni's or CSN's version.

Edited by BFrank