Why are these kind of gigs even organized?

Hardbopjazz

I really have no idea to all of the questions about content and players. When I get more information. I'll post it here.

George Cables? George can lift anything he wants, IMHO. He's new recording, "My Muse", is very good.

Like I said, the participation of George as Musical Director ( just having one is a good sign) and the very capable Maxine Gordon, give this program higher hopes than usual. Usually, I stay away for slap dash tribute programs like the plague.

By "heavy lifting", I was referring to inflicting enough stunnage and/or brain damage on Eric Alexander to get his time into Dexter's pocket. It was a joke, as the two men's time concepts differ radically. And later Dexter is a Time Zone unto itself.

It is my sincere hope that neither Mister Cables nor anybody else is up to that much heavy lifting in real life.

I do hope, however, that this tribute to Dexter contains a lot of reminiscences and such, because Dexter was not exactly a Great Jazz Composer per se. He had some good tunes to his credit, but...

He was, however, a truly great jazz soloist, but how do you effectively duplicate that? I don't know that you do, really. Or want to.

If the object is to feel good about Dexter Gordon, hell, I'm already there, no special concert needed!

• 2 weeks later...

Randy can do everything. Not kidding. Love that guy.

Yeah, here's an opportunity for you and your mates to get in on the act...

A 4cd reverse racism tribute to Syl Johnson...

'Somethings been holding us back,

Is it because we're not Black'

Nasty.

MG

http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/the-sandke-affair-1-can-white-cats-play-jazz.html

http://blog.adlermusic.com/2011/01/randy-sandkes-book-and-its-critics-including-me.html

http://news.jazzjournalists.org/2010/12/book-reviews/

http://news.jazzjournalists.org/2011/01/jazz-race-politics-randy-sandke-replies-to-howard-mandel/

How can you tell which are going to be slapdash and which are going to be well-thought out and carefully planned?

Bertrand.

Sometimes you may know a little about it from the word of mouth. Sometime the same players or organization have done them before and you know from past experiences whether it's worthwhile to give a listen. The Blue Note has done many with McCoy and others that I wouldn't go to, for example. All of these factors can give you a idea if the program is going to be worthwhile, or if it's going to be a thrown together set of players picking tunes on stage, playing with little real energy.

There's going to be a Dexter Gordon Tribute coming up soon. Dexter's widow and manager Maxine Gordon is fully involved, and the musical director is George Cables. Sounds good.

Some more on the Dexter tribute.

In honor of what would have been the 90th Birthday of the legendary bebop tenor saxophonist and Academy Award nominee Dexter Gordon, an all-star crew of musicians celebrates his legacy by performing some of his favorite tunes and original compositions. Pianist George Cables, who performed and recorded with Gordon extensively, and drummer Victor Lewis, another Dexter alum, anchor a group that includes Jerry Weldon, Walter Blanding, Jr., Joe Locke, Dezron Douglas, and Brandon Lee.

Join Michael Mwenso, the late night host at Dizzy’s, for a special listening session of Dexter Gordon’s recordings on Tuesday, February 26 at 6pm. Michael Cuscuna, Gordon’s Columbia Records producer, and pianist George Cables join.

By "heavy lifting", I was referring to inflicting enough stunnage and/or brain damage on Eric Alexander to get his time into Dexter's pocket. It was a joke, as the two men's time concepts differ radically. And later Dexter is a Time Zone unto itself.

Yes he is. Now that you mention it, does any saxophonist who came after Gordon have a similar laid-back attack?