Problems with Amazon Marketplace seller ZOverstocks

J.A.W.

I've recently had nothing but problems with Amazon marketplace seller ZOverstocks. Three of my recent orders didn't arrive (at least one appeared not to have been dispatched, even though my credit card was charged), the condition of some of the used CDs that did arrive was appalling, far worse than "very good" as described by them, and their customer service didn't reply to some of my e-mails. I got refunds in all cases, some via Amazon after filing "A to Z" claims, but doing business with them has really been a nuisance.

Has anyone else had problems with them?

Edited by J.A.W.

I've had issues with them already ... and just had another problem with another vendor (moviemars_amerique) from whom I've bought dozens of times. Now they sent me a CD-R instead of the proper thing (nowhere on the respective amazon item page does it say "CD-R", nor did it in their selling blurb) and they not only didn't reimburse the shipping costs I paid initially (€ 3.40), they didn't reimburse my return shipping costs (CHF 5) either, even though - and that pisses me off very much! - they did contact me to tell me that they are able to reimburse shipping costs up to 10$ for international customers (such as I). (Amazon itself made good by offering me a 5€ reduction on my next order - fine enough, but it's not their task really.)

Why I'm telling this here is: yes, it seems times have changed.

I've not yet run into any problems with Dodax or with musique_pour_vous yet though, so cross your fingers!

Recent trouble with privately sold items were solved in a very kind manner though, so not all world's gone bad quite yet.

(edited for typos)

Edited by king ubu

I haven't ordered recently. In the past, any second-hand CD I ordered was actually new and sealed. Things have changed, maybe.

Things have changed. Zoverstocks used to be Guernsey based, but now dispatch from Macclesfield, presumably because the Channel Islands tax loophole has been closed. I agree that the condition of their used stock can be poor, but I've been prepared to overlook this because of their really low prices and the fact that they've always replaced stuff instantly when I've complained.

I haven't ordered recently. In the past, any second-hand CD I ordered was actually new and sealed. Things have changed, maybe.

Things have changed. Zoverstocks used to be Guernsey based, but now dispatch from Macclesfield, presumably because the Channel Islands tax loophole has been closed. I agree that the condition of their used stock can be poor, but I've been prepared to overlook this because of their really low prices and the fact that they've always replaced stuff instantly when I've complained.

So you're telling us that customer service (or really base competency of the staff) on the mainland can't live up to Guernsey? :mellow:

Only being a bit ironic. In my 18 months living in East Anglia, I found overall customer service appalling compared to typical service in the States with most folks resentful of the fact they had to work in a shop at all.

Of course, standards everywhere are slipping. So many stores in North America have decided to cut waaaay back on staff, so it is pretty much self-service. Until you get to the till, and sometimes even finding anyone to take your money can be a challenge...

Edited by ejp626

I've bought some new merchandise (box sets) from them with no problem, as recently as last fall.

The one used CD transaction I did with them (a year or so ago iirc) was disappointing, as condition was less than advertised. I didn't follow up, because the CD played and I didn't want to go through the hassle, but I wouldn't order used product from them again

Funnily I've just had a problem with something I just ordered from them. When it arrived after about a week the CD was different to the booklet/tray. Standard apology and prompt refund but still......

i have the exact same problem that just occurred! my ute lemper cd case and liner notes arrived - but inside - the cardigans!

Just notified seller - no response yer.

:bwallace:

Having done business with ZOverstocks many times my advice would be not to buy used CDs from them, the discs seem to be systematically overgraded, and in my experience their customer service is a mess.

Edited by J.A.W.

In the last six months I've bought 14 items from ZOverstocks, and they've all been fine except for one: I bought Jaco Pastorius' Birthday Concert which arrived without a booklet. I contacted them and was refunded in full, without having to return the CD. Have had no other complaints about the condition of any of the used items. Maybe I'm just having better luck.

I posted the same topic over on the Hoffman board and most of the reactions were moderately positive. Seems I've had a streak of (very) bad luck with this seller. However, I don't think I'll be ordering from them again, at least no used CDs. The fact remains that their customer service is not the best I've ever encountered - and that's putting it mildly.

Edited by J.A.W.

In the last six months I've bought 14 items from ZOverstocks, and they've all been fine except for one: I bought Jaco Pastorius' Birthday Concert which arrived without a booklet. I contacted them and was refunded in full, without having to return the CD. Have had no other complaints about the condition of any of the used items. Maybe I'm just having better luck.

Yes, I forgot to say that when my unsatisfactory item was replaced, I was invited to keep the original, which in truth wasn't too dreadful. <_<

here is the response:

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear that the disc is not correct, we work hard to check all items before they are dispatched to ensure that only items that pass our quality standards are sent. However, it would appear that this has not happened in this instance.

Please accept our apologies.

In lieu of this, it is only fair that we immediately send you a replacement copy - this will be sent for dispatch today. Regarding the item in question, please dispose of it as you see fit - there is no need to return it.

Once again, please accept our apologies, and thank you for your custom and your patience.

Regards,

Raechel

Customer Services

ZOverstocks

Very courteous and if the replacement cd arrives i will be satisfied.

:)

here is the response:

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear that the disc is not correct, we work hard to check all items before they are dispatched to ensure that only items that pass our quality standards are sent. However, it would appear that this has not happened in this instance.

Please accept our apologies.

In lieu of this, it is only fair that we immediately send you a replacement copy - this will be sent for dispatch today. Regarding the item in question, please dispose of it as you see fit - there is no need to return it.

Once again, please accept our apologies, and thank you for your custom and your patience.

Regards,

Raechel

Customer Services

ZOverstocks

Very courteous and if the replacement cd arrives i will be satisfied.

:)

I got exactly the same email. Don't remember if it was signed by Raechel. ^_^

P.S. Hope your replacement CD arrives as quickly as mine did.

Edited by BillF

• 3 weeks later...

good news - replacement disc received!

bad news - ute lemper is dreadful - not the fault of zoverstocks

good news - the cardigans cd that they missent but allowed me to keep is not half bad!

happy ending!

:rlol

I've had fine service from them given buying used cds unseen is a sometimes tricky business... As long as you're not expecting mint condition they've all been good for the price (usually the lowest) and the one fault secured a mint replacement Jimmy Rowles cd really quickly. I might prefer the Cardigans too though Ute Lemper singing Kurt Weill is pretty good. Fave Cardigans song is "I Need Some Fine Wine And You, You Need To Be Nicer" if you like the band...