DVD/SACD players

Stonewall15

I also have an Oppo and it is a terrific player for both SACDs and DVDs.

Peter, is your Oppo the Blu Ray version? I have an Oppo DV-981HD which (it says) plays SACDs, but I've only ever had the machine hooked up to a TV, where it's been terrific for about 6 years.Deciding on getting a Blu Ray for a new TV, I held off on paying the big bucks for the Oppo, and went for a (Consumer Reports) highly-rated LG player.

I'm going to use the Oppo now as a CD player only. Should I expect good results on all CDs, SACD included?

You can only play SACD through HDMI if your preamp/receiver can properly decode it. The last I knew, there were only a couple of preamps/receivers out there that could do it. Denon was one. Maybe Onkyo was the other?

Not true. I have a couple of players that play SACD's very well with no HDMI connection involved.

One is a Marantz and the other a Sony.

Of course you can play SACDs with no HDMI connection--that is totally obvious. Kevin's point is that to properly bitstream DSD over HDMI, you need a decoder downstream that can accept a DSD signal and convert to analog.

Actually, he'll need a specific decoder downstream to handle the copy-protected DSD bitstream. Denon's decoder is called Denon Link and even they had trouble implementing it over the objections of Sony. Sony never wanted SACD streamed. They required players to have analog outputs exclusively for many years.

BTW, I never understood the desire to stream DSD anyway. The digital-to-analog conversion has to happen somewhere. Why would the D/A converter be better in a cheapie Denon or Onkyo reveiver than the D/A converter in the player itself?

I also have an Oppo and it is a terrific player for both SACDs and DVDs.

Peter, is your Oppo the Blu Ray version? I have an Oppo DV-981HD which (it says) plays SACDs, but I've only ever had the machine hooked up to a TV, where it's been terrific for about 6 years.Deciding on getting a Blu Ray for a new TV, I held off on paying the big bucks for the Oppo, and went for a (Consumer Reports) highly-rated LG player.

I'm going to use the Oppo now as a CD player only. Should I expect good results on all CDs, SACD included?

Ted, I have Oppo BDP-93. It is a Blue Ray player that plays regular DVDs,CDs, SACDs, DVD-A and pretty much anything.

Both audio and video quality is extremely good.

I play SACDs with a Sony BDP-BX37 Blu-Ray DVD/SACD player via the digital optical output to an Adcom GDA-600 DAC and then into an Adcom GFP-555II Preamp. Based on the previous discussions is the SACD being properly decoded by my Preamp? The Adcom components are fairly old and I wonder if the technology is current enough.

The SACDs play beautifully and sound better that the CDs of the same music.

Well, this is not an ideal means of SACD playback. There is no way to bitstream DSD over optical output. Meaning your Sony is converting it to PCM and the Adcom is then converting it to analog. What "flavor" of PCM you are outputting, I am not sure. You should be able to determine it using your owners manual--possibly 24/192, which could account for your preference of SACDs over CDs.

SACDs really aren't worth the trouble. I prefer multichanel blurays. Sound is as good and you get picture too.

I don't often want to sit in front of a television when listening to music at home. Most SACDs are hybrid which means you can play them as CDs in your car, your computer or in any place where a CD player is available.

My preference is for SACDs.

Exactly. Blu-rays are primarily for movies. SACDs are primarily for music.

EyeSpeech- Would it be any better if I used the coaxial output instead of the optical outout?

No, but it would be better to use regular analog (RCA) cables, as long as your preamp/receiver doesn't redigitize them.

Edited by EyeSpeech