Tribute to Big John Patton

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Patton is also my favorite organist. I heard an organ trio playing A Step Ahead once, and at that moment I knew I was going to switch from bass to organ. I bought the cd and spent hours just listening to the opening vamp over and over.

My trio plays A Step Ahead, Latona, Jakey, Soul Woman, and we are working on The Yodel right now. If you haven't played soul woman, it's super fun and I can email the chart for it (or any of the others)

John Patton is one of my favorite organists as well. That is a fantastic idea for a project. Long before I started playing organ, his comping was a huge influence on me, and still is today. All of his music is great, so anything that you choose will be awesome. A couple that i dig that might be lesser known are "String Bean" from That Certain Feeling, and "Pinto" from Soul Connection. I wish you the best with the project, and look forward to hearing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give an update on this project. Two Sundays ago I was able to get four stellar musicians together in my home studio to record two songs with multi-camera HD video. The musicians were Randy Gelispie on drums, Ralph Tope on guitar, Jim Cooper on vibes, and Mark Kieme on tenor. We did "Latona" and "Night Flight". I'm editing the videos right now. I'm hoping to launch the Kickstarter before I head back on the road with Ms. Magness. In other words, before March 22nd.

The session, though short, was a total blast. This is going to be a fantastic project.

More soon!

Just listened to John Zorn's version of The Yodel - as much as I like what they're doing, I'm afraid they almost kill the groove by playing it so fast.

Yeah, I don't think groove is those guys strong point, although they obviously 'love the groove'.

What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabout.

The thing for Zorn though, was that he was able to do his John Patton tributes with Patton in the band :g

I love Zorn's playing on the DIW Patton sessions, and Blue Planet, but it still feels like Zorn's is a musical 'intervention' into Patton's sound world.

The live gig with Ulmer and Previte though, is on another level. That one sounds much more organic and fluid.

It is one of my favourite recordings ever. Blood Ulmer provides the bridge between Patton and Zorn, which shifts the music into something extra wonderful. Ulmer's playing makes this happen by stealth alone, almost.

The fact they possibly did this gig without rehearsal and arrangements makes it shambolic and beautiful.

Edited by freelancer

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give an update on this project. Two Sundays ago I was able to get four stellar musicians together in my home studio to record two songs with multi-camera HD video. The musicians were Randy Gelispie on drums, Ralph Tope on guitar, Jim Cooper on vibes, and Mark Kieme on tenor. We did "Latona" and "Night Flight". I'm editing the videos right now. I'm hoping to launch the Kickstarter before I head back on the road with Ms. Magness. In other words, before March 22nd.

The session, though short, was a total blast. This is going to be a fantastic project.

More soon!

Latona and Night Flight....killer. And both none too easy. That bassline on Latona is a bitch!

Would either one of you Patton -O - Philes care to post the changes to the chord cycle on Soul Woman. I remember you - Jim Alfredson - saying on this board many years ago, someone taught this tune to The Organissimo band when you were just starting out. Do you and Souls Stream both agree on the changes perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...