Problem with Mosaic order

Yesterday my Charles Mingus box arrived after two months. It was a July pre-order shipped during hurricane Sandy.

As you can see from the attached photos the set has been ruined by water damage. The thing is soaked and rotting with fungus. It turned to pulp in my hands. I e-mailed Mosaic over 28 hours ago and have thus far not even received a confirmation of receipt of my complaint.

EDIT: I've just received an e-mail that they'll send me a replacement, no need to send anything that isn't damaged back.

EDIT: Today the replacement arrived in good order.

Edited by erwbol

Call direct- 203-327-7111

I've never had a call unanswered and/or unreturned. Or an issue unresolved.

Consider also the possibility that if your set received this type of damage during the storm, others probably did as well, and that yours is not the only complaint to be resolved.

In other words, they might have a buttload full of calls and emails to return right now. But they'll get to yours, and they will make it right. I can guarantee that as much as I can guarantee anything that I can't actually guarantee, if you know what I mean.

It#s bloody awful when this sort of thing happens, but I go along with everything the others have said - and more. My younger grandson cut up some Mosaic plastic inners years ago, when I used to have the CDs on the shelf with all the other CDs. When, a couple of years ago, in an effort to save shelf space for CDs, I decided to put the CDs back in their boxes, there were five or six of those plastic things that I didn't have. SO I told Mosaic the sad story and they very kindly sent me replacements in my next order.

That is WELL above the call of duty.

MG

I live in The Netherlands, so I'd rather not call direct.

I do think they were foolish to start shipping orders again so soon after Sandy had passed overhead and the whole region was a disaster zone with plenty of bad weather.

Edited by erwbol

I'm not sure what you mean by shipped "in the middle of Sandy." It passed through that Monday night. It's entirely possible they shipped that day before it hit or the previous Friday. Maybe the distribution center to which the package went got hit hard. That would be outside of their control. There could be many explanations.

It's entirely possible it was in the mail prior to Sandy and the PO had it and then Sandy hit and...

My own experiences with Mosaic make me confident that they'll do right by you. Were their own offices damaged by Sandy? They could be a bit slow to respond if they were hit hard.

Mosaic once sent me someone else's order (and presumably mine to the other person, I don't know). It was a very large order with multiple copies of some sets and I mailed it all back to them. They then sent me what I had originally ordered along with a free set of my choice.

So I'm sure they'll make it right. Give them a chance. I think there are only 3 people working in the office. They're likely swamped (probably should have chosen another metaphor there).

Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that the Mosaic shipping service is not as good as it was when it was still in-house (and it's more expensive). In other words Mosaic themselves would probably not have mailed something in the midst of Sandy. But the new guys don't have the same connection to the product.

Only good experience here, too ... damaged my Django box by accident, got a replacement booklet by accident, and then a replacement box, too - all for free, needless to say!

Also whenever I had scratched discs, or in one lone case a disc with what looked like a small bubble in it (and that did affect play), they always immediately and for free sent replacement discs, most recently even two for a Joe Pass set I had bought from a local retailer!

They're the very best, in my book!

I've been a customer - mostly straight from them, but I bought a few used and new sets from other sources, including folks from right here - of theirs since ... well, since the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh was released, when was that, 1996? (And I still consider 170 and 180 numbers high ones ... I did miss out on a few early boxes though that were still around back when I started buying their sets.)

One early experience that was bothersome - in those days I had no credit card, so I had to pay via IMO - was when they "lost" my payment somehow, and after calling them up (yep, I talked to Cindy on the phone back then, but I think it was my one and only phone call) they did find my payment again and my order, too ... and they shipped it air mail instead of my usual option of overseas shipping (which was much, much cheaper and I had lots of time, so...). But being a high school kid who just sent them all the money I made doing some jobs in summer vacation, that was quite a scary experience. In the end though I didn't have to wait longer than I would have had for my overseas shipment to arrive.

I have been dealing with them since day 1, bought the Monk Blue Note right after it came out. Never had an issue with them over maybe 50-60 boxes/selects. The few times I have reached out to them, they have exceeded expectations, as reported by others above.

I've just received an e-mail that they'll send me a replacement, no need to send anything that isn't damaged back.

So far I've left the shrinkwrap on the CDs. One appears to have wrinkled artwork, the others are harder to tell. I guess the discs themselves must have survived whatever it is that happened.

Edited by erwbol

I've just received an e-mail that they'll send me a replacement, no need to send anything that isn't damaged back.

:tup

Just a aside, it would have been difficult for Mosaic to be negligent in choosing a time to ship. I was not far away from their location during and after Sandy. There simply wasn't access to shipping facilities. So perhaps your set was shipped and damaged while in the care of the carrier.

Edited by BeBop

So far I've left the shrinkwrap on the CDs. One appears to have wrinkled artwork, the others are harder to tell. I guess the discs themselves must have survived whatever it is that happened.

A happy ending, and once again Mosaic lives up to its reputation as a first-class operation. :tup