Herbie Nichols Live w/Rex Stewart 1953

JSngry

This was releaed back in the 1950s on the related Concert Hall Society and Jazztone labels. I've got the Jazztone album - it's pretty much over-the-top racehorse Dixieland. It's interesting to hear Nichols in this context, but I don't remember his playing to be very distinctive in any kind of "Nichols-like" way.

According to Lord, the first 12" release was on Concert Hall Society, but that could be wrong. This seems to be much rarer than the Jazztone release. I could only find an Ebay image:

Rex Stewart - Dixieland On Location (Concert Hall CHJ1202)

maid6-SrUOUzuG5JkbPF0Qw.jpg

However, there were also three 10" Jazztone LPs of this material, including two additional tracks that never made it to the 12" format!

Rex Stewart And His Dixieland Jazz Band (Jazztone J703)

jazztone-703-orange.jpg

Albert Nicholas Plays The Blues (Jazztone J704)

jaz-704-blau.jpg

Fernando Arbelo And His Laughin' Trombone (Jazztone J705)

705-rot.jpg

It is the Arbel(l)o release that has the two additonal tracks: Memphis Blues and Laughin' Trombone.

Has this ever been on CD?

I am not aware of any CD release. Classics would have gotten to it with another Stewart volume, but they folded before that materialized. Fresh Sound has released some Jazztone material, so it would be a suitable job for them to collect all 12 tracks on one CD. Perhaps it will come.

Much better-known than the above dates, but for those interested in hearing Nichols in a more tradional-jazz context:

http://www.amazon.co...omas mainstream

You can hear his solo on Thomas' "Blues Baby" around the 30:00-32:30 mark in this Night Lights show:

http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/herbie-nichols-world/

Edited by ghost of miles

However, there were also three 10" Jazztone LPs of this material, including two additional tracks that never made it to the 12" format!

jazztone-703-orange.jpg

Just to round off things, this is the cover of the German pressing of J-703 (note that Herbie Nichols and the rhythm section rated billing only under "and others" on the cover):

qL52Io39U8.JPG

jazztone-703-orange.jpg

Just to round off things, this is the cover of the German pressing of J-703 (note that Herbie Nichols and the rhythm section rated billing only under "and others" on the cover):

qL52Io39U8.JPG

i see the price of 5,75 german marks. i don´t know the year of this issue, but i think that was not cheap!

keep boppin´

marcel

i see the price of 5,75 german marks. i don´t know the year of this issue, but i think that was not cheap!

keep boppin´

marcel

It wasn't.

But the ususal list price for 4-tracks EPs at that time (ca. 1960) was 7.50 Marks. (And AFAIK list prices tended to be much closer to the actual shop prices and there were far fewer variations in price from one shop to another).

So, relatively speaking, Jazztone was a bit more more affordable than the bulk of other items.

(To put things into perspective, the hourly net wages of skilled workers were something like 2 Marks around 1960).

Just to whet everyone's appetite: Herbie Nichols performed at some Church in NYC as part of a concert series. Ornette did a couple of concerts in this series as well.

This may have been recorded! I'm trying to find out more. I just found out about this a week ago.

Bertrand.

If you do find out any more info about that, I would love to know. That would be amazing if a recording of Nichols performance existed. Thanks for posting that.

Just to whet everyone's appetite: Herbie Nichols performed at some Church in NYC as part of a concert series. Ornette did a couple of concerts in this series as well.

This may have been recorded! I'm trying to find out more. I just found out about this a week ago.

Bertrand.

If you do find out any more info about that, I would love to know. That would be amazing if a recording of Nichols performance existed. Thanks for posting that.

Mark Miller's deeply-researched book "Herbie Nichols -- A Jazzist's Life" seems to have no reference to that possibility.

Bertrand: any suggestion of a date for that event?

(I'll have to ask Mark if he ever heard of it).

I've heard back from Nichols' biographer Mark Miller, and I don't think he'll mind me taking this from his message: "I've no knowledge of the church concert. More interesting on the Nichols front is the discovery, as I understand it, of a large number of his compositions that were previously thought lost in a flood. I haven't investigated, but the Herbie Nichols Project (Frank Kimbrough et al.) played one or more in a recent concert."