Stan Getz At Large - nice budget find

MartyJazz

And it's 70 years now in the European Union for recordings that were not yet in the public domain when the rule was changed - yep, I know, Switzerland is not a member state; what do your country's copyright laws say, by the way?

Just to do some maths:

These recordings were made in January, 1960.

The EU copyright change came about in late 2012, which makes it 52 years (plus a few months) past the recording date (and close to that past the original release date of these recordings). In short, these recordings had already been in the P.D. for some time by the time the new EU copyright laws came about. So the new legislation clearly is not applicable here.

As for that other question about any justification of why I included "my" link (provided it IS a bootleg and there is no "official" agreement behind it): Maybe as a "BUYER BEWARE" gesture? (Hey, with THAT kind of packaging? What else but seamy could such packaging be?) Acceptable enough as a reason? ;)

Went inside Big Lots today...they had this one (several copies, actually), as well as a few other things.

Looks like Concord is dumping some stock into Cutout World...no OJCs, some other stuff.

Not so - I picked up The Sound of Sonny from the Keepnews Collection. Maybe its not technically an OCJ but I'm sure this had an OJC release originally.

Thanks to Marty being a Rollins freak, this one was waiting for me. :P (I'm sure I'd have sought it out sooner if I'd known Sonny Clark was on it.)

But no Getz at Large. :o

The EU copyright change came about in late 2012

Actually, it was late 2011.

Yes, my slipup. But that still locates the recordings we are talking about here firmly outside the scope of applicability of the new 70-year limit.

Yep, as far as the European Union is concerned, I didn't deny that. For the United States it might be a different story; if the release wasn't licensed, it probably violates American copyright law.

Given the muddy situation described and linked to above even the non-Storyville releases sem to be rather hard to pin down. And like others said before, somehow I cannot imagine Storyville would go into outright bootlegging, particularly since this is not a recording by an artist known only to insiders who had releases on a small indie label that any (potential) rights holders would give a damn about so enforcement risks would be only minor. This is a major artist on a major label. Would Storyville get themselves into water that is (potentially) THAT hot by marketing their items even to the US?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Given the muddy situation described and linked to above even the non-Storyville releases sem to be rather hard to pin down. And like others said before, somehow I cannot imagine Storyville would go into outright bootlegging, particularly since this is not a recording by an artist known only to insiders who had releases on a small indie label that any (potential) rights holders would give a damn about so enforcement risks would be only minor. This is a major artist on a major label. Would Storyville get themselves into water that is (potentially) THAT hot by marketing their items even to the US?

I don't think so, but then again, the Swiss label TCB has declared that the Miles Davis Zurich 1960 concert is seeing its FIRST OFFICIAL release on their label. As everyone knows, Jazz Unlimited (a sub label of Storyville) put it out years ago. So maybe we're giving Storyville too much credit???

Yep. At least as far as Jazz Unlimited goes, I was always under the assumption it was doing PD/boot releases.

Their "Miscellaneous Miles" disc was such a shady affair (but contains some mighty good stuff, needless to say!) - it's now part of a Storyville 2CD set with the Zurich set.

It's a two-sided thing for me ... one the one hand, why shouldn't a fine label such as Storyville not make use of PD material (selling it in the US is different thing!), on the other hand it kind of leaves me with a crying eye if they don't do it right ... but anyway, their ongoing re-packing activities don't throw the best of lights at them (even though I personally enjoy plenty of those newer packages, having missed out on much of their original release activitie).

At this point, all I really want to know is who produced this session originally (if not Granz), who own(s)(ed) the masters, and why it never got a real reissue by "Verve" anywhere but Japan. Were there estate issues, as with Sweet Rain, or what, exactly.

That, and wtf is the deal with that Memphis company...do they know that their physical address is being used as the "company" address for an EU PD release operation, or are they in on it, and if so, where does organized crime come in?

I don't consider Keepnews Collections OJCs, I just don't.

I'll tell you where a fair number of remainded OJS did show up (and still do, from what little recent experience I've had) - Hastings.

There's a Hastings around here?

Longview, Sulphur Springs, Wichita Falls, Victoria...between gigs and family, I hit 'em.,

On our return from NOLA we stopped at 3 Big Lots stores. The first one in LA snickered at a request for cds - "you mean music?". We did find one in Mississippi (along with the Shirley Horn Monterey disc) and another in Alabama. I left another in 'bama. Might check the local (Muskegon, MI) store this week.

• 10 months later...

I dropped by Big Lots today to see if their selection this year is comparable to last year's. For the past two Sundays Big Lots has advertised in their circulars that they had $5 DVDs and CDs.

Sad to say, they had very few CDs this year. It's possible that they got in a nice supply and sold them all, but I doubt it. I did pick up two:

McCoy Tyner - Horizon (Keepnews Collection)

http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Mccoy-Tyner/dp/B000UDQR4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387249037&sr=1-1&keywords=mccoy+tyner+horizons

Tony Bennett's Greatest Hits of the '60s

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-60s-Tony-Bennett/dp/B003W77U9C/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387249110&sr=1-1&keywords=tony+bennett%27s+greatest+hits+of+the+%2760s

I also saw:

Sergio Mendes - Bom Tempo

http://www.amazon.com/Bom-Tempo-Sergio-Mendes/dp/B0038YIDH2/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387249331&sr=1-8&keywords=sergio+mendes

Jimi Hendrix - South Saturn Delta.

http://www.amazon.com/South-Saturn-Delta-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B00B8O4VHU/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387249190&sr=1-11&keywords=jimi+hendrix

• 6 years later...