Most interesting/favorite 'Herbie Hancock' BN

Rooster_Ties

Most interesting/favorite 'Herbie Hancock' BN  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I chose "Speak Like A Child" because of it's subtle "Gil Evans"-ish horn writing, plus I love the tonal texture (meaning the sound) of those horns together, which are a unique combination of flugelhorn, bass trombone, and alto flute.

Some of Herbie's most sensitive playing, me thinks, especially on the quiet tunes.

Love the alternate takes on the box set too. Hope this comes out as an RVG here in the U.S. someday (with most of those bonus tracks.)

=====

Oh, how can I remember that "Speak Like A Child" is my longtime favorite Herbie album?? It's the one I got him to sign, when I saw Herbie and Wayne on the "1+1" tour back around 1996 or so. :g Also had him sign my Miles "Complete Plugged Nickel" liner notes. (Had Wayne sign "All Seeing Eye", and the "PN" notes too.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Oh, how can I remember that "Speak Like A Child" is my longtime favorite Herbie album?? It's the one I got him to sign, when I saw Herbie and Wayne on the "1+1" tour back around 1996 or so. :g Also had him sign my Miles "Complete Plugged Nickel" liner notes. (Had Wayne sign "All Seeing Eye", and the "PN" notes too.)

Well, I was fortunate enough too to get a few signed. Unfortunately I left behind my DMM 'Speak Like a Child' but did get 'Maiden Voyage' signed on the sail ! :D

'The Prisoner' just about squeeks in with my vote, much as I like 'Speak', 'Maiden Voyage' and 'Empyrean'. Like 'Speak Like A Child' this has very telling Gil Evans influence with the unique alto flute/bass trombone/flugel combination, with warm sonority. Only Duke Pearson seems to have exploited this area of orchestration as constructively as Gil and Herbie.

I voted for Maiden Voyage, just edging out Empyrean Isles. MV was the first Herbie from this period that I bought, and must say it remains a gas to play even to this day (even if I have basically memorized all the tunes) I could play this album at any time of the day or night, no matter what my mood.

I see "Speak..." has two votes now. Who else, besides me, gave "Speak..." the nod?? Just curious...

By the way, I was so glad that there were some very interesting alternate takes from "Speak...", and "The Prisoner" too, when the Herbie box came out. Can't remember the specific tune, but there's that one alternate take from "Speak...", with the extended solo-piano solo (no bass, no drums, and no horns), that just about brings me to tears every time I hear it.

That one track makes me *SO* wish that Herbie had done a solo-piano album in the mid-to-late 60's. God how I wish I could turn back the clock, and make that happen, somehow.

( Oh, if only we could just 'retroactively' program and record jazz albums that weren't recorded back in the day - and see, somehow, that they were recorded back then, after all. That's the kind of stuff I dream about, occasionally, at night. Seriously. 99% of the people I know would think that's about the weirdest thing they ever heard of, but thankfully, I'm probably not the only one here who's ever pined for albums that never even existed in the first place. )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

:g:g:g

I would have to vote for the box

:g:g:g

seriously: I did not know any of these except for Maiden Voyage before I got the box. And it blew me away!

What a wonderful debut recording session, the great Dexter doing sideman chores for a youngster.

Then of course Maiden Voyage (one of my favorites when I got the box, but I have not listened to it for a long time - will give it a spin tonight, I guess) and Empyrean Isles with the great original Cantaloupe Island and that wonderful free tune (called "The Egg"? or was that another one?)

"Speak" was a nice discovery. Then "Point of view" had some nice things, too.

Hearing "The Prisoner" made me get the Warner double disc set and the wonderful "Sextant" right ahead (though Prisoner is the best, I think, with Johnny Coles, Garnett Brown and Joe Henderson).

But then, the biggest surprise for me was "Inventions & Dimensions" (great cover, would love to have the LP!). Willie Bobo's great and Mr. P.C. is his usual self. This music was a revelation for me, the free-flowing feel, wonderful grooves, marvellous bass solos, ever inventive piano...

Anyone has similar feelings on "Invention & Dimensions"? - That were 2 or 3 VERY lucky days, when I heard this music for the first time!

ubu

For many of the great Blue Note artists of this period, I find my first purchase is often my favorite, even after many years of additional acquisitions. This may be due to (perhaps obvious) recommendations made by others, but I know that I acquired some based only on the sidemen or the cover design. Nothing like the first time, I guess. For Burrell, it's Midnight Blue. For Shorter, it's Adam's Apple. [i know, that's another poll.] For Hubbard, it's Hub-Tones. Fabulous albums.

For Herbie, it was his debut "Takin' Off." Great Dexter, great grooves, a fine album to play at social gatherings (especially for a crowd that is not too into jazz). In some sense, it may be more a "favorite" than "most interesting." Perhaps not as elegant as other HH dates, but it is hard not to smile when these tunes get cranked up.

• 8 years later...

I've been recently exploring the balance of Hancock's Blue Note output - I was very pleasantly surprised (on the upside) by Speak Like a Child. Not a major statement on the level of Maiden Voyage or Empyrean Isles, but I really enjoyed it. Inventions & Dimensions was nicer than expected too, but not by as big a margin. Next up: The Prisoner.