Greatest LPs to never make it to CD

Mark Stryker

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An email from a friend prompts this question: What are the greatest records to never make it to CD? (If there's a previous thread on this topic I apologize -- I looked but didn't see one.)

My buddy suggests "Big George" (Affinity) by the George Coleman Octet -- a great one to be sure.

Coleman's "Big George" came out in 1990 on an Affinity CD called "Stablemates". It couples Junior Cook's "Pressure Cooker" (minus the track "The 8th Cat") with the complete "Big George" session.

Someone in Germany has a copy on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-Junior-COOK-QUARTET-Stablemates-G-Coleman-Affinity-1990-like-new-AFF-766/160678311955

and someone has a copy for $60 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stablemates-Junior-Quartet-Coleman-Affinity/dp/B000LFLGN4

ad57a634923aa64248ae6913ed0e2dcf.jpg

Jackson_Willis.jpg

Willis Jackson - Star bag - Prestige

115742794.jpg

Willis Jackson - Gatorade - Prestige

123192.JPG

Jackie Ivory - Soul discovery - Atco

f.jpg

Odell brown & the Organizers - Mellow yellow - Cadet

Paul-Bryant-Somethings-Happen-535637.jpg

Paul Bryant - Something's happening - Fantasy

ammons_cole.jpg

Gene Ammons - Night lights - Prestige (only half of this is on 'A stranger in town' CD)

Gene%2BAmmons%2BFree%2BAgain.jpg

Gene Ammons - Free again - Prestige

1360-1.jpg

Clifford Scott & Les McCann - Out front - Pac Jazz

27264.jpg

George Freeman - Frantic diagnosis - BamBoo

MG

Many here know much more than I do about what has been released on CD, but I think that Gerry Mulligan's Limelight album Something Borrowed, Something Blue with Zoot Sims was only partially released on a compilation disc.

There was also a Sam Rivers disc on Impulse from the mid 70s that I liked very much. Its one-word title escapes me at the moment, but it will come to me.

Many here know much more than I do about what has been released on CD, but I think that Gerry Mulligan's Limelight album Something Borrowed, Something Blue with Zoot Sims was only partially released on a compilation disc.

There was also a Sam Rivers disc on Impulse from the mid 70s that I liked very much. Its one-word title escapes me at the moment, but it will come to me.

Sizzle.

MG

I'm with Clifford - a lot! Since I like both avant-garde and old New Orleans stuff, half a dozen things came to mind right away:

Steve Lacy - Eronel (Horo) and Points (Chant du Monde). There's lots more Lacy that hasn't come out on CD, but those are two of his best.

Sam Rivers - The Tuba Trio (Circle). Lots of other Circle stuff, too.

Gil Evans - Live at Royal Festival Hall (UK RCA)

Capt. John Handy's two RCA albums. This is the old New Orleans saxophonist, not the Mingus alum.

The Pretty Baby soundtrack (ABC). Don't laugh. It's one of the great New Orleans albums of its time.

And all three volumes of Freilach in Hi-Fi by Murray Lehrer and Dave Tarras on Period.

Edited by jeffcrom

BFrank, totally with you on the McBee, what a great album. Was so impressed with Chico Freeman in those days, so disillusioned since then. That Jackie McLean desecration caused Bob Rusch to explode into the greatest record review in the history of Cadence magazine. If my memory serves me correctly, the entire review was in bold capitol letters, and basically told the record industry to go ahead and ruin all the young players they want (I believe they named Azar Lawrence, who had just put out the horrid 'People Moving" sellout on Prestige), but that Jackie McLean was an institution, a national treasure, and they had no right to mess with him. Anyone else remember that review?

One great LP that may never make it to CD is Jimmy Raney's "Strings and Swings".

His son said that there were legal problems regarding the extended piece of music that Raney composed, "Suite For Guitar and String Quintet" that may never be settled.

It's a shame, because it's a historically significant piece of music that combines Bartok and jazz, and has some great Raney solos on it. The other side is a regular jazz quintet recording featuring Raney leading a group with Bobby Jones and Dave Lahm, live in Louisville KY. It's also excellent.

If you have that LP, consider yourself lucky.

One great LP that may never make it to CD is Jimmy Raney's "Strings and Swings".

His son said that there were legal problems regarding the extended piece of music that Raney composed, "Suite For Guitar and String Quintet" that may never be settled.

It's a shame, because it's a historically significant piece of music that combines Bartok and jazz, and has some great Raney solos on it. The other side is a regular jazz quintet recording featuring Raney leading a group with Bobby Jones and Dave Lahm, live in Louisville KY. It's also excellent.

If you have that LP, consider yourself lucky.

Yeah, that's a good one. I may play it tonight!

Don't think the Juilliard String Quartet's early 1960s LPs on RCA of Beethoven's Op. 131 (frenzied intensity) or the compelling performances of the Ravel/Debussy quartets have made it to CD. Also, Air's "80 Degrees below 82," Jimmy Heath's "Picture of Heath" and Henry Threadgill's "When Was That?"

Edited by Mark Stryker

Don't think the Juilliard String Quartet's early 1960s LPs on RCA of Beethoven's Op. 131 (frenzied intensity) or the compelling performances of the Ravel/Debussy quartets have made it to CD. Also, Air's "80 Degrees below 82," Jimmy Heath's "Picture of Heath" and Henry Threadgill's "When Was That?"

Heath's "Picture Of Heath" has been out on CD a couple of times, with the latest being on a Prevue CD issued in 1998.

I'm with Clifford - a lot! Since I like both avant-garde and old New Orleans stuff, half a dozen things came to mind right away:

Gil Evans - Live at Royal Festival Hall (UK RCA)

And the Mole Jazz Lp "The Rest of Gil Evans Live at Royal Festival Hall". I did a needle drop digitization of the two and put the results together on one cd with the numbers in the right order but I'd love to have an official cd with better sound. It was a great concert.