Greatest LPs to never make it to CD

Mark Stryker

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swaggie should immediately reissue all their David Dallwitz LPs on CD, as well as their Earl Hines / Jazz Portraits of Australia (Hines playing all Dallwitz pieces) and their Ade Monsbrough LPs. Beginning with Dallwitz's Ern Malley masterp[iece.

IMG_8184-590x600.jpg

:tup Wonderful music, and wonderful, too, given the historical/cultural forces and individual human beings that brought it into existence. I'll never forget my first quite random encounter with Dallwitz's music back in 1977-8 -- could hardly believe what I was hearing. The album was "Nullabor" by the Dallwitz-Monsbourgh Jazzmen (Swaggie), rec. 1972.

Not "greatest" by any means, but aren't Don Patterson's leader dates severely under-released on the CD format?

Most of them came out on two-fers.

Was Mellow Soul amongst them? That one's got Fathead on it. And there's a whole Christmas album he did. That one make it out?

There's also the Patterson Cadet side and his Muse albums...have they made it out as well? Pretty sure that The Return Of...has been, but the others?

Don't think any of the splendid albums Earl Hines recorded for the Audiophile label ever made it on CD.

I know three of them, the tributes to Louis Armstrong, W.C. Handy and Hoady Carmichael, all of them among the best LPs Hines ever recorded.

All three are in a two disc set on one of George Buck's labels.

Well well... I thought wrongly! Never saw that set

518AA4aCnnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks Chuck for setting me straight :mellow:

I want more Earl Hines. Thanks for this, folks.

MG

Not "greatest" by any means, but aren't Don Patterson's leader dates severely under-released on the CD format?

Was Mellow Soul amongst them? That one's got Fathead on it. And there's a whole Christmas album he did. That one make it out?

There's also the Patterson Cadet side and his Muse albums...have they made it out as well? Pretty sure that The Return Of...has been, but the others?

Yes, JIm's right. Mike Weil would be the best source on this, but I am pretty sure these didn't come out on CD

Prestige

Mellow soul

Holiday soul (that's the Christmas album)

Satisfaction

Tune up (I think one track never issued on CD)

Soul happenin'

also

Goin' down home (Cadet)

These are soulful days (Muse

Movin' up (Muse)

Why not (Muse)

MG

Funny how little commercial pull Patterson seems to have. Or perhaps it's the sidemen. Paul Weeden, Jerry Byrd, Vinnie Corrao arn't terribly well known. Pat Martino is, but Fantasy never released a twofer of the Timmons and Patterson 'Holiday soul' albums, which I think may not have been a mistake, though Mike Weil and I would have bought it :)

Savoy Jazz doesn't seem to have done very much with the Muse catalogue anyway.

'Mellow soul' is a puzzle, though.

MG

Four of Patterson's Prestige LPs never were on CD: Mellow Soul with Fathead Newman, his Xmas LP Holiday Soul, and his two trio LPs Satisfaction and Soul Happening.

Arthur Blythe 'In the Tradition' I don't think has ever been released on cd. Great date with Stanley Cowell, Steve McCall and fred Hopkins IIRC. Killer version of 'Jitterburg Waltz' on it.

This is one case where the CD certainly could sound better than the LP if they took the time to fix what was a kind of strange mix/master, IIRC.

1360-1.jpg

Clifford Scott & Les McCann - Out front - Pac Jazz

I just picked up this Clifford Scott LP yesterday. Nice record! I can't believe it hasn't been issued on CD.

What a good thread. Several in here I agree with. I will have to do some thinking before I post my thoughts.

Has "The Piano Choir" on Strata East ever made it to CD? I really enjoy that one.