Greatest LPs to never make it to CD

Mark Stryker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was happy to finally find Horace Silver's 70s sides Silver 'N Brass and Silver 'N Wood issued on CD, albeit as a semi-pricey import. The others in the series (Percussion, Voices & Strings) are also either available now or will be soon.

Really? I've heard snippets of all of this stuff over time and none of it has me itching to spend big bucks to get it on CD. Heck, I've even waffled at spending $5 for a used LP of it.

I was happy to finally find Horace Silver's 70s sides Silver 'N Brass and Silver 'N Wood issued on CD, albeit as a semi-pricey import. The others in the series (Percussion, Voices & Strings) are also either available now or will be soon.

Really? I've heard snippets of all of this stuff over time and none of it has me itching to spend big bucks to get it on CD. Heck, I've even waffled at spending $5 for a used LP of it.

Brass and Wood are the strongest of the series IMO, the others hold less interest for me. I like the core quintet with Berg and Harrell. YMMV.

Edited by Free For All

I don't suppose this will fit under 'greatest' but it's one I don't think has ever been on CD and I'd like to hear it:

41RN3CP0TRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Could get a 'rubbish cover' award though.

This one has been released on CD along with most other Elvin Jones and Oregon Vanguard albums (Comet Records, Italy). Good one, very much recommended. There's a nice Ralph Towner interview somewhere (allaboutjazz?) where he discusses this session. If I remember correctly they were planning a photo shoot for LP cover but Elvin failed to show up so they glued his face up there and added some "drum sticks."

I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but I don't think my favorite CTI record of all-time, "Blue Moses" by Randy Weston has made it to CD. It could be because Randy hated that LP more than anything he ever did, and refuses to let it be issued.

My other fave CTI LP, "Salt Song", by Stanley Turrentine, was finally released on CD a few years back.

I had to wipe the drool from my mouth when I was buying that one.

"Blue Moses" was issued as a Japanese import. I don't recall if it ever was issued in the U.S.

Yes, CTI put it out in 2011. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Moses-Records-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B0057FWU3I/ref=tmm_acd_title_0

I actually paid a somewhat unreasonable price for a used copy of the import, only to find (a bit too late) that the last track was damaged. So I was quite glad when it was reissued.

"Blue Moses" was issued as a Japanese import. I don't recall if it ever was issued in the U.S.

Yes, CTI put it out in 2011. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Moses-Records-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B0057FWU3I/ref=tmm_acd_title_0

I actually paid a somewhat unreasonable price for a used copy of the import, only to find (a bit too late) that the last track was damaged. So I was quite glad when it was reissued. Great news. I wonder if Randy Weston was bugged that they re-issued that on CD? I don't know what he didn't like about it. It wasn't African enough?

That reminds me of the Joe Puma story. He was doing a gig with either Richard Davis or Ron Carter (I forget which), and the bass player said he was sick of doing all these standards written by white, Broadway songwriters. he wanted to do music of his people.

Joe said to him," Alright, you wait there for a minute. I'm gonna go outside and get a log, and you can beat on it."

I actually paid a somewhat unreasonable price for a used copy of the import, only to find (a bit too late) that the last track was damaged. So I was quite glad when it was reissued. Great news. I wonder if Randy Weston was bugged that they re-issued that on CD? I don't know what he didn't like about it. It wasn't African enough?

That reminds me of the Joe Puma story. He was doing a gig with either Richard Davis or Ron Carter (I forget which), and the bass player said he was sick of doing all these standards written by white, Broadway songwriters. he wanted to do music of his people.

Joe said to him," Alright, you wait there for a minute. I'm gonna go outside and get a log, and you can beat on it."

Whoever it was should have taken the log and have beaten on Puma with it.

I actually paid a somewhat unreasonable price for a used copy of the import, only to find (a bit too late) that the last track was damaged. So I was quite glad when it was reissued.

Great news. I wonder if Randy Weston was bugged that they re-issued that on CD? I don't know what he didn't like about it. It wasn't African enough?

Whoever it was should have taken the log and have beaten on Puma with it. He would have had to wait on a long line. Puma's blunt sense of humor burnt a lot of bridges.

Oh man, there are SO many, but the first ones that come to mind for me are:

Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu-lan/Land of the Blacks: Live at the East (Strata East)

88433.jpg

Harold Land - Choma (Burn) (Mainstream)

762864ca40285cb141845f0f46b61527.jpg

Harold Land - A New Shade of Blue (Mainstream)

haroldland_front.jpg

Stanley Cowell - Equipoise (Galaxy)

1887.jpg

Henry Threadgill's "When Was That?"

Gotta point out that this is currently available on CD, and has been for some time:

http://www.about-time-records.com/at-1004.html

GREAT album too!

Edited by webbcity

Five of the seven tracks from "Blue Benson" are on this, fwiw:

51hcbhl4RnL._SY300_.jpg

Yeah, but not quite the same thing.

I have the CD Giblet Gravy which has some of the tracks, but it is over done and schmaltzy.

51xJHRLA0QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

• 2 years later...
On January 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

My answer to this thread is, the whole Bee Hive catalog with the exception of Johnny Hartman's "Once In Every Life", which was issued on two soundtrack CDs for "The Bridges Of Madison County".

Great stuff there. I play my needledrop CDs often.

Wonder if Mosaic checks out this board.