Greatest LPs to never make it to CD

Mark Stryker

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think the Juilliard String Quartet's early 1960s LPs on RCA of Beethoven's Op. 131 (frenzied intensity) or the compelling performances of the Ravel/Debussy quartets have made it to CD. Also, Air's "80 Degrees below 82," Jimmy Heath's "Picture of Heath" and Henry Threadgill's "When Was That?"

Heath's "Picture Of Heath" has been out on CD a couple of times, with the latest being on a Prevue CD issued in 1998.

Thanks for the clarification.

Many here know much more than I do about what has been released on CD, but I think that Gerry Mulligan's Limelight album Something Borrowed, Something Blue with Zoot Sims was only partially released on a compilation disc.

There was also a Sam Rivers disc on Impulse from the mid 70s that I liked very much. Its one-word title escapes me at the moment, but it will come to me.

Sizzle.

MG

Yes, that's it, MG! And you got it in two minutes, LOL! Thanks.

The LP 'Heart and Center' (1979, Arista/Novus) by Michael Gregory Jackson (guitar, vocals).

The record stiffed on impact. I've only seen promo copies with cut corners -- and usually for $5.

It was too slick for the Novus jazz hardcores and way over the heads of everyone else.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqsz38Frxm8

with: Pheeroan ak Laff, drums

Marty Erlich, soprano sax

Baikida Carroll, trumpet

Jerome harris, electric bass

Barry Harwood, organ

In+the+Land+of+HiFi+Folder.jpg

Very odd that this never has been on CD. Not even on any of the public domain labels.

Wasn't it out on that 'Complete Emarcy' Cannonball twofer put out on Verve as a 2CD?

No, that one had "Sophisticated Swing", "En Route", "Sharpshooters" and Nat's "To the Ivy League".

Only the quintet material ... too bad indeed!

In+the+Land+of+HiFi+Folder.jpg

Very odd that this never has been on CD. Not even on any of the public domain labels.

Wasn't it out on that 'Complete Emarcy' Cannonball twofer put out on Verve as a 2CD?

No, that one had "Sophisticated Swing", "En Route", "Sharpshooters" and Nat's "To the Ivy League".

Only the quintet material ... too bad indeed!

Yes, and even Sophisticated Swing wasn't complete on that 2-CD set, since Stella By Starlight, a Junior Mance feature on which the horns sat out, was omitted. Had to get a Japanese CD reissue to get the complete album.

Don't think any of the splendid albums Earl Hines recorded for the Audiophile label ever made it on CD.

I know three of them, the tributes to Louis Armstrong, W.C. Handy and Hoady Carmichael, all of them among the best LPs Hines ever recorded.

All three are in a two disc set on one of George Buck's labels.

There are several Dave Brubeck Columbia LPs that have not been released on CD by Sony. Some of them have been released on European labels but these would make a nice box set from Sony or Fresh Sounds. The LPs are:

1. At Storyville (has been re-issued by Fresh Sound Records)

2. Blues Roots with Gerry Mulligan

3. In Amsterdam

4. Jackpot

5. Last Time We Saw Paris

6. The Riddle (has been re-issued by Solar Records combined with Southern Scene)

7. Tonight Only! with Carmen McRae (has been re-issued by 101 Distribution)

8. Compadres with Gerry Mulligan

Edited by Stonewall15

Don't think any of the splendid albums Earl Hines recorded for the Audiophile label ever made it on CD.

I know three of them, the tributes to Louis Armstrong, W.C. Handy and Hoady Carmichael, all of them among the best LPs Hines ever recorded.

All three are in a two disc set on one of George Buck's labels.

Well well... I thought wrongly! Never saw that set

518AA4aCnnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks Chuck for setting me straight :mellow: