Info on a starter good stereo system

coooltrane

Yep, buying used is the way to go I think when wanting a great system, but not having thousands of dollars!

I think for the U.S. the Audiokarma forum is a very informative an usefull site. And offcourse when you know what you want, ebay can be your friend (well, it was mine when putting together my system).

Some fine advice already offered, but I would have to add: think about what you want. Audio is really changing, and you should ensure you're getting something that will serve your desires (we aren't really talking "needs" here, right? -smiley here- )

Sources:

CD?

Mass storage (from download, burn or "local creation"/recording)?

LP (who know how long the fad will last)

Streaming?

Amplification:

Phono input needed? Or "line" only?

Digital only?

Analog and digital sources?

Output:

Speakers?

Headphones?

Depending on those "desires", you might avoid entire components you don't need. An amplifier, a phono input, component CD player, A/D converter...

Edited by BeBop

Also check out craigslist for local deals (I have sold an Oppo BDP-83SE and my previous left/right speakers the N802s on CL--good deals on great gear is possible).

You can also get great deals, including used deals, on Amazon. For example, these decent Polk bookshelf speakers for under $200 (list price is nearly twice that). http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0018QRO9A/?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=eyes0bf-20&=electronics&qid=1360181122&sr=1-3&keywords=polk+audio+speakers&condition=used

• 2 weeks later...