After two weeks of denials, Burger King admits...

Excuse my naïve question. I'm a virtually lifelong vegetarian/vegan (though I harbor no ill will toward meat eaters). Beyond the misrepresentation and denials, is horse meat all that different from cow meat? I understand the difference to chicken or fish. Or to pork, if there is a religious consideration. But cow versus horse? Or is horse meat like dog meat that I guess is taboo in many Western places because of pet dogs? Again, sorry I'm naïve; I am sincere.

Or is horse meat like dog meat that I guess is taboo in many Western places because of pet dogs?

This one, although probably less so in parts of continental Europe, especially when compared to the US. I imagine that once you've ridden a horse, you have a much harder time munching on one...

Or is horse meat like dog meat that I guess is taboo in many Western places because of pet dogs?

Something like that, except horse meat is more acceptable than dog meat. But not as acceptable as squirrel. It all depends on where you rank in the cuteness scale, although deer get the shaft for some reason...

I can remember. My daughter dragged me into a MacDonalds in London when we were going to Sussex to visit my wife's uncle in 1984. Never again. When I was at work, I sometimes used to have a cup of tea in the Burger King near the bus stop in Westgate Street in Cardiff, if it was raining and I had a while to wait for the next one, but never anything else.

MG

Just out of idle curiosity, when was the last time you eat a hamburger at a hamburger or fast food 'joint' ?

Try as I might I cannot remember, I think it might have been a ' Burger King' in Sheffield about three years ago.

Half of it went in the bin.

Do In'n'Out or Five Guys count?

God, I hope so!

While I have no love for McD's burgers, I do have a soft spot for Carl's western bacon cheeseburger - my fast food burger of choice (from a national chain). .