John Coltrane - Complete Sun Ship Sessions

king ubu

But Coltrane's solo on Naima alone makes the record an absolute classic in my book.

:tup :tup :tup

He makes Sanders look like a schoolboy in short trousers, he's so much better, truly worlds apart!

VV Again is one of those Trane albums I took a longtime first to buy (I've had the LP borrowed from a highschool teacher once and gave it some spins, made me a K7 copy of it, but didn't return to it often) and then took a while to appreciate. I enjoy Garrison in general, less so Sanders, but the whole album is still very, very good in my book - and Trane is great on it!

I think I have a more positive opinion of Sanders's solo on "Naima" than either of you, but no disagreement, and frankly, I wish that on most of the 1966-67 recordings Coltrane had been more "selfish" with solo space with regards to Pharoah.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a low opinion of Sanders there ... it's just that Trane is so darn amazing. His range, his control, the emotions - Sanders screams like sh*t and gets nowhere near as close to the emotion that Trane is able to convey. It's not fair game, of course, I guess nearly all of the young avantgarde players back then would have sounded pretty much alike next to Trane.

Btw, that should have read "a bit less" in the post above on the Mosaic box - and was related to the 100$ price for their various 4LP boxes. But I see they're having a 3LP set on offer and are charging nearly the same amout (90$) for that.

Meanwhile I am just learning about all the unreleased Impulse! Coltrane from the 2005 article mentioned on the Hoffman board - go here and scroll down http://www.personal....du/bdk4/aop.htm

Did you guys know about this?

I believe we discussed this extensively back when the existence of this stuff was first announced.

Meanwhile I am just learning about all the unreleased Impulse! Coltrane from the 2005 article mentioned on the Hoffman board - go here and scroll down http://www.personal....du/bdk4/aop.htm

Did you guys know about this?

I believe we discussed this extensively back when the existence of this stuff was first announced.

That means I knew and just forgot ....

re. Sunship, the original LP was murky to say the least, the single CD reissue and the box set version are as so often over-bright and harsh. If I hear this has the kind of sound I like I'll go for it but maybe three versions in a lifetime was enough....nah, but four might be enough...

When you say "single CD reissue and the box set version" you are not referring to the latest releases (from the Hip-O Select Volume Five box set and subsequent single CD release) are you? I have the box set and the sound is NOT over-bright and harsh. Listening to it right now, very nice mastering and the recording itself is interesting in that it's not an Englewood Cliffs recording by RVG and has a subtly different presentation.

Edited by jazzbo

re. Sunship, the original LP was murky to say the least, the single CD reissue and the box set version are as so often over-bright and harsh. If I hear this has the kind of sound I like I'll go for it but maybe three versions in a lifetime was enough....nah, but four might be enough...

When you say "single CD reissue and the box set version" you are not referring to the latest releases (from the Hip-O Select Volume Five box set and subsequent single CD release) are you? I have the box set and the sound is NOT over-bright and harsh. Listening to it right now, very nice mastering and the recording itself is interesting in that it's not an Englewood Cliffs recording by RVG and has a subtly different presentation.

Oh! No! Do I need that one too?

I can't answer that for you, but I find the newly mastered versions in these "Impulse Album Collection" box sets to be very nice sounding, an improvement over the early 16 and 20 bit versions.

I see what you mean with regards to the early 16 and 20 bit versions. Still, I found some of the titles from box 2, e.g. Crescent, a tad too loud when listened to on headphones.

Are Hip-O Select boxes 4 and 5 also mastered by Kevin Reeves?

Yes. I compared two of these to the most recent Japanese cd counterparts, also mastered by Reeves, and they seem identical to me.

I don't do headphones, so there's been no problem for me. (Did a lot of recording and monitoring of bands I was in in the 'eighties via headphones and totally grew to dislike them).

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes. I compared two of these to the most recent Japanese cd counterparts, also mastered by Reeves, and they seem identical to me.

I don't do headphones, so there's been no problem for me. (Did a lot of recording and monitoring of bands I was in in the 'eighties via headphones and totally grew to dislike them).

Today I compared the Impulse! Originals and SHM-CD of Live At Birdland and Meditations by making secure rips of track 1 with XLD and looking at the log files.

The Japanese and Originals Birdland have the same CRC32 hash number and AccurateRip signatures and so must be identical. I suspected as much by listening.

The Japanese and Originals Meditations are not identical, and do not sound the same to me either.

The Japanese and Hip-O Select Sun Ship also seem to have differing log files (seem because the Hip-O rip is not my own), and sound different.

Perhaps a bit off topic.

Edit: Also identical are Live at the Village Vanguard and Crescent.

Also different Transition (Hip-O not my rip).

Edited by erwbol

My two favorite Coltrane album are Sun Ship and First Meditations. So I'm looking forward to this release in a big way. It'll be a nice addition to my 90+ discs of Coltrane material.

BTW, someone mentioned earlier how different Sun Ship sounded from other Coltrane albums. I'd say that goes for his entire '65 output. The Quartet had reached its apotheosis that year, and they were playing what I still consider to be the greatest music I've ever heard.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, someone mentioned earlier how different Sun Ship sounded from other Coltrane albums.

This would be because this session (and this session alone) wasn't recorded at Van Gelders but at RCA in Manhattan.

This goes for east coast studio sessions. He did record for Impulse in studios on the west coast. Nitpicking, I know.