John Coltrane - Complete Sun Ship Sessions

king ubu

I picked this up a couple of days ago, but haven't put it on yet - all those Jimmy Garrison solos are scaring me off! (AS much as I like Garrison, those long solos usually bring the proceedings to a standstill, and I rarely play those later Coltrane albums where they seem to show up. Maybe this release will force me to reevaluate my position.)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked this up a couple of days ago, but haven't put it on yet - all those Jimmy Garrison solos are scaring me off! (AS much as I like Garrison, those long solos usually bring the proceedings to a standstill, and I rarely play those later Coltrane albums where they seem to show up. Maybe this release will force me to reevaluate my position.)

I'm with you on those Garrison solos

I'm with you on those Garrison solos

Hey, Trane had to take a break now and then. :smirk:

I will have to wait to pick this up, I have the original Impulse digipack from 1995, I assume the mastering is far superior. How is it? I live in Staatsburg, NY now where there appear to be ZERO record stores around.

The most recent master of the album is quite good. If I'm not mistaken the actual album tracks aren't really on this release as originally released. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

I will have to wait to pick this up, I have the original Impulse digipack from 1995, I assume the mastering is far superior. How is it? I live in Staatsburg, NY now where there appear to be ZERO record stores around.

The most recent master of the album is quite good. If I'm not mistaken the actual album tracks aren't really on this release as originally released. . . .

Yes, that's my understanding. The album was doctored by Ed Michel (good job!) and those versions are not part of the new set which releases the entire session in running order.

Really? I'm a bit confused. I have not been as into the Coltrane Syndicate information as others in regards to discographical details, so, the original album was made up of edited takes?

I quote this from the Mosaic page:

Sun Ship, recorded August 26, 1965, captures one of the last sessions by the Classic John Coltrane Quartet (Coltrane, pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Jimmy Garrison and drummer Elvin Jones). It comes at the culmination of a year in which Coltrane arguably reached his creative peak, a year rich in such masterworks. The Sun Ship album, though, was not issued until 1971, one of several Coltrane albums issued by Impulse Records after his death. And Sun Ship was, like many jazz albums, the product of editing between takes, a process overseen by John's widow Alice.

This Complete Sun Ship Session edition is much more: sourced from newly discovered original reels, the set includes the album's five original compositions, unedited, in sequence of recording, with all of the takes as they evolved, as well as the surrounding conversations. More than just a sampling of a few alternate takes, the Complete Session offers a rare opportunity to eavesdrop on an iconic master at work. - David Wild, liner notes

Yes, that's my understanding. The album was doctored by Ed Michel (good job!) and those versions are not part of the new set which releases the entire session in running order.

I see now it contains the original album versions too. I last played the 1995 CD a few months ago. Good to see it's mastered by Kevin Gray, I hope that is the CD version's case as well.

Edited by CJ Shearn

From the Mosaic page:

Original release:
Issued as Impulse AS-9211, August 1971
Produced by Ed Michel and Alice Coltrane

Their sequence and choices:

Side A
Sun Ship 6:14
Take 4, as shown above, with Elvin Jones’s drum coda edited out.

Dearly Beloved 6:28
Take 4, as shown above, with the discussion from Take 1 added as an introduction.

Amen 8:17
Take 2, as shown above.

Side B
Attaining 11:27
The first 7:24 minutes of Take 3, followed by the last 3:58 minutes of Insert 1.

Ascent 12:05
The issued version is Take 1 as shown above, with about 1:30 of the bass solo edited out

• 2 weeks later...

Is the piano louder on this new release?

I was listening to the album tracks from The Classic Quartet box and was disappointed to hear how low the piano is on the left channel (along with the bass). Have they corrected that in the re-mix by making the piano louder? The drums on the right channel are just so much louder on the Quartet box version.

Edited by ShowsOn