Most interesting/favorite 'Wayne Shorter' BN

Rooster_Ties

Most interesting/favorite 'Wayne Shorter' BN  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gonna have to give this one some thought too.

Depending on the day of the week, I could pick almost anything from "The Soothsayer" through "Schizophrenia". I usually say "All Seeing Eye" without thinking much about it, but I'm not so sure that's really my favorite. "Etcetera" is a strong contender for me too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is impossible to answer. I had to select one so I chose "Juju," but I could easily have selected four or five others. "Adam's Apple" is a current favorite right now. Shorter was so consistent that it is unfair to select any single cd. It would be like trying to pick a favorite Grant Green. (OK, Tom, your next poll...) B)

I've enjoyed most of Wayne's BN work, with the exception of "Super Nova" and "Moto Grosso Feio." Those two haven't grown on me yet. I'm not into his soprano work as much, to be sure.

Having said that, I voted for "The All Seeing Eye." The compositions are adventurous, and I think having a larger ensemble contributes to the overall energy of the album. When I think of Wayne Shorter, this is always the first album I go for.

I recently made mp3's of all my Wayne Shorter BN albums so I can listen to them more. I recently bought "Night Dreamer," and have never really given "Juju" and "The Soothsayer" the attention they deserve. They'll be on the mp3 player playlist for a while. :)

I usually say "All Seeing Eye" without thinking much about it, but I'm not so sure that's really my favorite. "Etcetera" is a strong contender for me too.

I gave "Etcetera" a spin today, and I listened to "All Seeing Eye" last week at least three times.

I gave the nod to "Etcetera", but it was a very close race. You're right Chuck, about Joe Chambers being a monster on the more 'creative' dates. (In fact, I was gonna let that influence my vote, until I remembered that Joe was on both "Etc." and "ASE"!!)

I think Joe's almost my favorite Blue Note "House Drummer" from the 60's, with Elvin a close second.

Moto Grosso Feio and Odyssey of Iska were *not* recorded on the same day, no matter what the liner notes to Moto Grosso say.

When they dug this session up, Wayne remembered the date as being 8/26/70, but I think he was confusing it with Odyssey. I believe the BN bible gives a date of April 1970 for Moto Grosso Feio.

Bertrand.

I find it interesting that I nearly voted for "Speak No Evil" but chose "Night Music" instead, and right now those two are neck to neck in votes!

I'm a LOT less interested in Shorter's music than I ever have been before, but those two I still enjoy a lot, and I really feel that "Night Music" is the one I like the most. It's just. . . special.