Most interesting/favorite 'Wayne Shorter' BN

Rooster_Ties

Most interesting/favorite 'Wayne Shorter' BN  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for ODYSSEY OF ISKA, but my cookies were turned off, so the vote didn't register! :alien:ph34r.gif:alien:

It's not my favorite (don't have one), but in many ways it's the most interesting to me, since it marks the beginning of Wayne Shorter, Opera Singer. Really, you listen to that album, and there is such pure MELODY to everything Wayne plays, and it's not the melody of a "jazz improvisor", it's the melody of a man singing arias. It's fascinating listening for me to hear this most facile of improvisors play such focused, directed music, especially given the loose, atmospheric accompanimental environments he created for himelf to do so in. I think this is not an album for jazz "newbies" or jazz "purists", but anybody who has the reference points to appreciate the concept of an improvisational saxophone opera (and the liner notes create an even more than usual "programmatic" scenario for the music that just reinforces the operatic concept) ought to check this sucker out and give it some time. It very well might grow on you more than you'd think. Or not. It has on me, that's all I know.

BTW, it's a REAL bummer that ODYSSEY OF ISKA and MOTTO GROSSO FEIO were listed as a single choice. Totally different albums w/totally different results (and are you SURE that they were recorded on the same day?) ODYSSEY SOARS, but MOTTO just sort of rolls around in the mud, and not very lustily at that. Not for nothing was it witheld from release until Weather Report started becoming popular. ODYSSEY, otoh, came and went OOP in the blink of an eye as the "real time" successor to SUPER NOVA. Life ain't fair.

That's an interesting description. Interesting enough that I still remembered reading it while listening to Odyssey of Iska's SHM tonight.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic