Karl Evangelista/Grex - Taglish

ep1str0phy

1094846157-1.jpg

Hey, folks,

As a few of you know, I spent the past few years (aided and abetted by a Zellerbach Grant, a successful Kickstarter campaign, and some weird compulsion to navigate Filipino law) creating Taglish, an album of Filipino-American music. The project features Asian Improv aRts cofounder Francis Wong, bassist John-Carlos Perea, a crack team of Bay Area experimentalists/jazz people (drummer Jordan Glenn of the amazing bands Wiener Kids and Jack O' the Clock, reedman Cory Wright of the Industrial Jazz Group, and Rob Ewing, lately under the baton of Marcus Shelby and Graham Connah, among others), and my primary group Grex (with pianist Rei Scampavia).

The project is a hybrid of jazz, American song, 20th century experimentalism, and Filipino folk rhythms and melody. I'm sorry to say that it's best heard in its entirety, since the album format (in the traditional sense) and CDs are way less popular today than even two years ago. Nonetheless, the project went through so many complications--including a brief run in with the Filipino legal system, whose strictures regarding interpretation of the national anthem are even more intensive than America's--that I thought best to put out the suite as was/is, and let people take of it what they will. I know (and very much appreciate) that folks here liked the last Grex album--Taglish is very different (and will likely be very different from what comes later), but for now, I'm proud to present it and very glad that I put my heart into it.

Here it is for listening/and orders (if any of us still believe in physical copies!):

http://grex.bandcamp...album/taglish-2

By the way--this is the track that almost got me thrown in jail:

http://grex.bandcamp...rack/hymn-dad-b

Cheers and I hope you enjoy,

ep1

Edited by ep1str0phy