Favorite long jazz tracks

Milestones

Basie had some long small-group jams during the Pablo years, such as "Bookie's Blues" (but maybe that was live).

I do like a lot of what Miles did in the early fusion years. Bitches Brews was my first jazz record, and In a Silent Way and Jack Johnson were not far behind. Very much dominated by long tracks. Second after "Bitches Brew" (the track) is "Spanish Key."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! 73 submissions, and no love for the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions produced for Columbia by George Avakian?

The first jazz records, I'd say, to really use the LP and tape recording to break away from the 78 limits...in 1953, 1954!

Not sessions that were "turn on the tape machine and let 'em blow", butr organized, with some lithe charts to encourage great soloists, some little riffs as springboards, and much love between players like Clayton, Hawkins, Urbie Green, Sir Charles, Freddie Green...

The Hucklebuck, Robbins' Nest, Christopher Columbus, and the SHORT ones ran 10 - 15 minutes. Great stuff that I still take off the shelf and realize that Time Goes By, but I don't notice....

:tup

Wow! 73 submissions, and no love for the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions produced for Columbia by George Avakian?

The first jazz records, I'd say, to really use the LP and tape recording to break away from the 78 limits...in 1953, 1954!

Not sessions that were "turn on the tape machine and let 'em blow", butr organized, with some lithe charts to encourage great soloists, some little riffs as springboards, and much love between players like Clayton, Hawkins, Urbie Green, Sir Charles, Freddie Green...

The Hucklebuck, Robbins' Nest, Christopher Columbus, and the SHORT ones ran 10 - 15 minutes. Great stuff that I still take off the shelf and realize that Time Goes By, but I don't notice....

:tup

:tup :tup

Julian Dash, too!

The "Mood Indigo" on Ellington Masterpieces, has anybody mentioned that yet? That's another one where the first time you hear it, you never know how/when/if it's going to end. Any number of places it could end - and no doubt did, in various settings - but no, it just keeps evolving and getting more and more abstract. When it finally does end...are you sure that that's it? Not until the next tune starts, and even then...

That's the kind of "long" work that makes the first/best impression on me, the ones where things keep happening that you just didn't see coming and make you wonder WTF is going to come of all this? Of course, the long grooves and soul-searing intensity burns are also satisfying, but that's not so much a matter of surprise as it is primal affirmation. But stepping into a piece of music that hooks you in and then threatens to throw you off a cliff and not catch you before you crash and die (but ultimately does), now THAT'S some kind of a thrill ride for the mind, soul, and body.

My choice breaks the time rules (I'm a feeble senior citizen so give me a break) but it is a kick ass recording of some length - Dishwater (10:38) from

415nQKZvGlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

:tup Perfect title, too.

Agreed - Dishwater is amazing, great playing from Kelly, Root and Grey, astonishing Lee Morgan.

Walt Dickerson: "Tell Us Only the Beautiful Things" w. Wilbur Ware & Andrew Cyrille from LP of the same title (WhyNot)

Archie Shepp w. Hank Mobley: "Sonny's Back" from Yasmina, a Black Woman (BYG) - Just under 15 minutes, but close enough.

Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron: "Hooray for Herbie" from Herbe de L'Oubli /Snake-Out (hat Art)

Johnny Griffin: "All the Things You Are" from Live in Tokyo" (Philips Japan) - A live recording, but Johnny Griffin blows with all he has on this one.

Fred Anderson/Steve McCall: "Within" from Vintage Duets (Okka Disk)

Albert Ayler: "Spirits Rejoice" from Live in Greenwich Village (Impulse) - Another live recording.

Thelonious Monk: "'Round Midnight (In Progress)" from Thelonious Himself (Riverside/JVC XRCD)

I found that when I was looking for cuts over 15 minutes, some that I thought were over that length were under and vice versa. I guess that when the music hits me I'm not that aware of time lengths.

Stanley Turrentine, Impressions (15+)

I didn't put this down, because I HAD checked the time - 14:12 :g

MG

Crud!!! Well, like the Sebesky track, it also takes up an entire LP side, so... :w;)

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned this one yet but Herbie's Chameleon (15+) also came immediately to mind when is saw this thread.

DRAT!!!

Miles Davis, “He Loved Them Madly,” “On the Corner,” “Pharoah's Dance,” “Spanish Key,” etc.

Herbie Hancock, “Hornets,” (19:35)

DOUBLE DRAT!!!!

Some more:

The Crusaders, Pass the Plate (15+)

Jim Hall, Concierto de Aranjuaz (19+)

Grant Green, Blues in Maude's Flat (2 seconds shy of the mark, but I don't care! :g)

Lionel Hampton Quintet, Flying Home (17+, the version with Buddy DeFranco)

Roy Eldridge/Dizzy Gillespie/Sweets Edison, Steeplechase (17+)

It is surprising that Jam Blues with Bird, Hodges, Benny Carter and Ben Webster has not been mentioned.

Yes, that is an amazing track. Swings so hard! I also really like "Lady Be Good" from the 2nd Granz studio jam session. What a wonderful box.

Leaving out multi-movement compositions/performances (whether A Love Supreme or the live Miles concerts from 1967 through 1975)...

Some stuff that hasn't been mentioned, that I love:

Miles Davis, "Mademoiselle Mabry"

Miles Davis, "Pharaoh's Dance"

Charles Lloyd, "Tales of Rumi"

Duke Ellington, "A Tone Parallel to Harlem" (just short of 15 min)

Eberhard Weber, "Seriously Deep"

Jackie McLean, "Melody for Melonae (again, a little short)

Weather Report, "The Boogie Woogie Waltz" (studio version)

Pharoah Sanders, "Let Us Now Go into the House of the Lord"

Sun Ra, "The Magic City"

51wyd9t2cSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not sure if each of the four sides of this qualify:

a) Generally thought of and marketed as rock though there's plenty of jazz within.

b) Each piece plays continuously but is made up of clear episodes (which got constantly detached and reassembled in performance elsewhere).

But as pieces of improvised music you could completely lose yourself in for 20 minutes at a time, they've worked for me since late-72.