Donald Byrd

david weiss

I don't want to put RIP in the title yet but this does appear to be the case.

I'll let you all know when I know with 100% certainty .

One of the greats of course....

I got to hang with him a bit and talk to him on several other occasions. Quite the thinker on a number of wide ranging topics.

I think the last time I saw him was at a Kennedy Center event in 2007......

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know, i cant believe hes only 80. 80 doesnt seem that old to me anymore. because, one min. yr in yr 70s still completely rockin' it, then things get really bad. and as short as life is, donald byrd accomplished more than most people. he has one of the best discographies in jazz, his music covers so much ground. and he even went to law school and became a lawyer. that is interesting someone mentioned they saw him in 07. i was under the impression he was somewhat retired or more reclusive these days, is that not so. on the orig. link i posted, theres what appears to be a more recent pic of him, he looks great! Donald Byrd's blue note carreer survived longer than Hank's and Lee Morgan and actually all his bn partners save horace silver and gene harris. am i missing anybody? bobby hutcherson..... ok theres a few. DB did, what Hank Mobley never was able do.

Edited by chewy

Although this item first appeared on a blog three days ago, there is no reliable corroboration to be found. Out of respect for the artist, his family and friends, could we please refrain from further speculation for now to avoid spreading the rumor and causing unecessary worry and grief?

RIP. The likes of Byrd, Lee Morgan, Mobley made some of the most enjoyable jazz. I only hope we can get back to that.

In Ben Sidran's Talking Jazz interview with Herbie Hancock, Herbie talked with great fondness and respect about Byrd. There was a great anecdote about Byrd, Herbie and Mongo discussing the roots of Watermelon Man.

I have always liked his playing. Never as individual as say Kenny Dorham and as technically gifted as say Morgan but he played well, wrote good tunes and produced some damn fine LPs. Never followed his output post 1969 but most of what came prior to then was top drawer. RIP

One of the things about Byrd that intrigued me back in the day was the rather considerable IMO stylistic shift between the light-toned, at times almost bouncing-ball-like fluidity of his mid-'50s work and the arguably somewhat studied but also at times moving brassy solemnity/sobriety of his late '50s/early '60s work. In the latter bag, I'm thinking in particular of his playing on "Fuego" on pocket trumpet, though there are a fair number of other instances. I have the feeling that Byrd did some studying with a trumpet guru of some sort, and that this bought about that change. Was Byrd -- knowledgable trumpet players please weigh in -- using the so-called "no pressure" system early on? I think I recall reading words to that effect, but that would have been many years ago.

R.I.P., and many thanks for the music. There are so many Donald Byrd albums I really love to listen to, will spin some tomorrow.

He was a scholar as well as a player, but I appreciate that very much, he was very aware of the African heritage without being superficial about it.

Royal Flush is still one of my favorite records of any type.

I still can't get with the Mizell stuff (and have tried, and will continue to try if/as the spirit moves), but let it be noted that Dr. Byrd is beloved in some circles spread the gospel of Knowing The Business So You Don't Get Screwed By The Business longly and loudly, and having those hits allowed him to preach it to people who might not have heard it otherwise at a time when the people who heard it were in a position to start putting it to real, not theoretical, use.