Complete live sessions

bogdan101

I recently aquired Art Pepper Complete Village Vanguard and the Miles Davis Plugged Nickel on Mosaic, and I like very much the idea of having a complete (or almost complete) record of a substantial live date or set of dates. I know there's the Pepper at Ronnie Scott's I have my sights set on, as well as several Sun Ra sets (Horseshoe Tavern and others). I already have Miles Cellar Door sessions (not complete but good enough). Oh yes, I also have Braxton at Iridium, Cecil's 2T's set, and looking to get at least some of the Berlin 88 cd's. What other complete (or almost) live sets do you recommend?

John Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard 1961 - 4 cd's (Impulse)

Chick Corea - A Week at the Blue Note - 6 cd's (Stretch)

Bill Evans - The Last Waltz: The Final Recordings Live at the Keystone Korner September 1980 - 8 cd's (Fantasy)

Bill Evans - Consecration: The Final Recordings, Part 2 Live at the Keystone Korner September 1980 - 8 cd's (Fantasy)

Bill Evans - Turn Out the Stars: The Final Village Vanguard Recordings June 1980 - 6 cd's (Nonesuch)

Ella Fitzgerald - The Ella Fitzgerald & Duke Ellington Cote D'Azur Concerts on Verve - 8 cd's (Verve)

Ella Fitzgerald - Twelve Nights in Hollywood - 4 cd's (Hip-O/Verve Select)

Stan Getz - People Time: The Complete Recordings - 7 cd's (Polygram)

Jim Hall - Live! Vols. 2-4 - 3 cd's (ArtistShare)

Keith Jarrett - At the Blue Note - The Complete Recordings - 6 cd's (ECM)

Keith Jarrett - Sun Bear Concerts - 6 cd's (ECM)

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse - 3 cd's (Blue Note)

Oscar Peterson - Live at the Blue Note - 4 cd's (Telarc)

Oscar Peterson - The London House Sessions - 5 cd's (Verve)

Paolo Vinaccia - Very Much Alive (with Terje Rypdal) - 6 cd's (Jazzland)

Ken Vandermark - The Vandermark 5: Alchemia - 12 cd's (Not Two)

That should keep you busy for a while!

Bill Evans - The Secret Sessions

Bill Evans - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Sessions

Shelly Manne - At the Black Hawk (five single volumes) and At the Manne-Hole (two single volumes)

(there's a shady box of the Black Hawk, too)

Count Basie - The Complete Roulette Live Recordings (Mosaic)

(okay, that's a mean recommendation, but luck may strike or you may have a thick bank account ...)

Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet + 1 - 3 Nights in Oslo

(different line-ups including various combinations of "bands within the band", details here)

Albert Ayler - Holy Ghost

(another big one, not sure of it's price range, you get extended recordings from Seattle)

John Coltrane - Live in Japan

(the 4CD edition)

and I fully endorse a whole lot of the previous recommendations (the other Evans sets, the Jarretts - you might want to throw in the 1973/74 Impulse box, which has lots of extende live material -, Ella in Hollywood, Trane 1961, the Petersons, the Mogie, also the sublime "People Time").

I'll get my coat ...

you better! :g

I was tempted to add, not as terrible as you might think, but my "cred" is low enough as it is.

At least a few people might be interested in Chick Corea and Origin in concert, which covers Thurs-Sun concerts (Friday night appears to be missing):

1148719.jpg

I'll get my coat ...

you better! :g

I was tempted to add, not as terrible as you might think, but my "cred" is low enough as it is.

At least a few people might be interested in Chick Corea and Origin in concert, which covers Thurs-Sun concerts (Friday night appears to be missing):

1148719.jpg

Was in my post above. There is a separate live disc. Maybe that covers Friday.

1005FB_500x5001.jpg

12 CDs of Douglas' residency in 2006. At the time quite an innovation as it was made available online within days.

In retrospect, a bit of overkill - I tend to play the 2CD abstract more:

1005_500x500-300x300.jpg

The web has made making things like this available much more easily.

Leaves the listener with a bigger filtering job though.

What about

AMM - The Crypt (2CD Matchless)

Waldron / Lacy - Live At Dreher Paris 1981 (4CD Hatology)

Charles Mingus - Complete 61-62 Birdland Broadcasts (3CD RLR)

Trio X - 2006 US Tour (7CD CIMP/Cadence) -> does this qualify ie same group but different locations

Trio X - Live On Tour 2008 (5CD CIMP/Cadence) -> ditto

Anthony Braxton Ninetet - Yoshi's 1997 (8CD - Leo)

Anthony Braxton Quartet - Coventry 1985 (4CD - Leo)

Edited by romualdo

What about

Abrams / Harris / Davis / Waldron / Lacy - Interpretations of Monk (4CD DIW)

While this is certainly an interesting project, I don't think it really qualifies, given that each set is from a different group and you don't have any sense of the group settling down into a medium-length residency at a club. At least I thought that was what was being discussed. Certainly some of these sets don't really qualify.

Not precisely the same but the Goodman Madhattan Room Broadcasts might be of interest. Not sure there is a legit source for them at the moment (as a box set that is).

Edited by ejp626

What about

Abrams / Harris / Davis / Waldron / Lacy - Interpretations of Monk (4CD DIW)

While this is certainly an interesting project, I don't think it really qualifies, given that each set is from a different group and you don't have any sense of the group settling down into a medium-length residency at a club. At least I thought that was what was being discussed. Certainly some of these sets don't really qualify.

Not precisely the same but the Goodman Madhattan Room Broadcasts might be of interest. Not sure there is a legit source for them at the moment (as a box set that is).

you're right - didn't get the full gist of the thread ie "having a complete (or almost complete) record of a substantial live date or set of dates" - have modified my list

300xv13.jpg

Great music, and in every way but one qualifies. It isn't "live" by what seems to be meant by the topic no audience, no applause. (I know, I know....)

Can't it be called "In Performance" or something, rather than "Live"? (In the same sense, Armstrong said something like "All music is Folk Music...I never heard a horse making music".) That's bugged me for years...other than Natalie Cole raiding her father's grave, music is "live". (Whoops, kinda leaves out 95% of what is called *music* these days --sorry!)

It seems to me that if it ain't all played at the same time in the same room it *shouldn't* qualify as Jazz. No overdubs, no punch-ins, no fix-ups....etc.

I guess I'm flexible on all that, and maybe it's a separate topic.